Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Towing a large tender

My name is Chris and I've owned my 58' Yacht Fish for a little over 2 years. We are taking a trip to the Exumas and are planning to tow a 21' center console behind her. I had Broward Machine make and install a tow eye and Rope Inc. make the tow line. I am nervous about towing this boat as I've never done it. is there any advice or concerns out there? Any suggestions on rpm's or speed? Thank you in advance foe any advice.

Re: Towing a large tender

Go for it. It is a bit of a hassle, but well worth having the "chase boat" in the Bahamas. I tow a 17ft Mako behind my 53MY on our trip to the Bahamas each year. We are usually only going 9-10 knots though, so you hardly know it's back there.
    However, my advice to you is practice before you go. Figure out how far back you want it for your anticipated cruise speed. Test a full "throttle down" to make sure the tow doesn't run up to you. I've found one of the most important things is to have the engine on the tow slightly in the water (and straight) to provide stability, especially in high seas if you are going slow. Depending on how the tow rides you'll need to adjust how low to set the trim. That's why practice is essential.
    Also, it does take extra crew to handle the extra boat. We always put somebody in the chase boat before we enter or leave any congested area (marinas, locks, sometimes even before we anchor).
    Good luck and have fun.
    Pat
    1987 63' CPMY - Jubilee
    Tampa, FL

All who wander are not lost.

I pull a Shamrock 20, inboard CC behind our 61 cmy. Had a bridle made (Rope inc) w/3 sixty foot legs . I like to allow the tender to ride just on the back of the second stern wave. It will be very stable there and will not surf and hunt side to side like it does if on the front of the wave. Where the sweet spot is changes as your speed changes. You do need extra hands to help when docking etc. Great fun to have along. ....Pat

4. Re: Towing a large tender

You might want to make up a portable set of towing lights to mount on your boat in case you get caught running at night. You may not intend to travel at night but circumstances might force it and if you had an insurance claim you might have trouble collecting if you are running with out proper lights.
    I have towed numerous tenders, most frequently a 21' center console often at 20 knots. I usually hung a radar reflector from the T-top to increase visibility and had some plastic yellow ribbons attached to the tow line to make that more visible. One trip was from Connecticut to Florida. Many trips to the Bahamas and the Keys from Fort Lauderdale and never had a big problem.

Thanks guys the 21' was no problem we sold it because it didn't suit our diving and fishing needs. We have a 29' prokat with twin suzuki 300s. What would you guys think about towing that?

Last year we towed our dink from Ft Myers to Emerald Bay via the Abacos and back to Ft Myers via Bimini. 1400 NM. I'd say ok but with the larger one extra crew should be available.

The only issues are;

1) The dink rams your platform even if you slow down well in advance a little at a time.
    2) Hauling the dink in to traverse locks, pick up mooring balls and docking is a PITA but not so bad at our size dink (13'). You will have to bring crew along to take the helm of the dink at that size. In choppy water it could get dicey.

CaveCayDink.jpg
    Regards
    Dan

Don't ask me how I know, but the biggest issue you will have is fouling the prop with the tow line. Polypropylene line floats, not so with nylon braid. Each time you slow, the line will go slack, so make provisions for that, but as others have said, you won't even know it's back there. I used a 75' line behind a 63my.

Quote Originally Posted by dottieshusband View Post
    Don't ask me how I know, but the biggest issue you will have is fouling the prop with the tow line. Polypropylene line floats, not so with nylon braid. Each time you slow, the line will go slack, so make provisions for that, but as others have said, you won't even know it's back there. I used a 75' line behind a 63my.
    What he said!! We used to two our 15ft Rendova with a tow made of Spectra (!!) Try cutting that off the prop in 62deg water. Now SOP is someone in the cockpit taking up slack before any throttle back or maneuvering, and putting a driver in the boat and turning them loose well before any cclose quarters or even slow running..

This seems really tough on equipment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjLi2fcJjDc
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Yeah, there's nothing like towing into weather. Been there done that and thought the dink was going to catch air at 8 knots! Since then we have been more careful about the weather.

Why are you guys using nylon braid when products like Amsteel (Dyneema) are available?

http://www.samsonrope.com/Pages/Prod...?ProductID=872

BTW I forgot to mention, you will want to get some purpose made chafe gear and use it on soft eyes, haws exit points etc..
    I have used Dyneema chafe tubes to good results, as well as Chafe Pro on the bridle leaving the haws holes.
    Last edited by Dan Mapes; 12-22-2014 at 07:56 AM.
    Regards
    Dan