Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wanted nav mast

Wanted nav mast

I am new to this forum and am also the new owner of a 44 Tri Cabin MY 1967 . She was missing the NAV Mast when I got her and I was hoping someone here might know where I can find one or one that is close that I can make fit
    Thanks
    Bobboat

Re: Wanted nav mast

Find one, measure it, and have a carpenter either build it or modify the original design to fit your specifications. For instance, I have the original 50MY mast with the folding deck joint. But it is not perfect. I fly my personal flag at the top, but it rubs on the front of the Bimini. I have to use a "pigsticker," a smaller flagpole extension. If I did a new mast I would make it one or two feet taller. But I would try to retain Jack Hargrave's (our designer's) great sense of proportion in designing our boats by adjusting the rake and height to look as though designed.
    Last edited by Fanfare; 04-08-2013 at 06:35 PM.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

Hey Jim
    Good idea I thought is was aluminum not wood, that gives me some choices
    Thanks
    Bobboat

You can look up your boat in the model brochures section to see what the original mast looked like.
    You can tell it's wood. Ron

Ron
    Thanks where is that section
    Bob

Look at the top of this page and you will see " MODEL BROCHURES ". click on it and pick out your model and year.

When the base of my mast rotted out, I made a temporary one out of PVC. I stiffened the mast with another PVC tube inside to make sure that the fittings didn't come apart. Pics attached.
    Lightmast041407b.jpg
    Lightmast041407a.jpg

EZ2beme
    That is a great idea, it looks good in the pictures is that a Y clean out in the middle with a light on it?
    Thanks
    Bob

Here's what the mast looks like on my 1966 Hatt 41 TC. The aforementioned "pig sticker" at the top is my own addition to fly my private signal flag.
    Attached Images
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Here's a better side profile shot.
    Attached Images
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"