Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Converting 12v to 24v

I am installing Simrad radar on my boat this spring. I want to go with the bigger TX10 open array vs the TX06 model. Problem is that the TX10 requires 24 volt and my boat is only 12v on which the TX 06 runs. Does anyone know of a dependable, reasonable and affordable device to convert 12v to 24v for this purpose?
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Re: Converting 12v to 24v

I have used the ray version which we usually get with the rest of the Electronics. This is a question for your dealer to be certain it all matches. Unless its wm than your on hour own.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Do an Ebay search for " dc-dc converter boost " Depending on the power requirements, you may find something that works. I am using a couple of the 600w units from China and they work very well.
    An alternative is to use a 12v battery in series with your 12 system and a relay to disconnect it from the 12v sys when the radar is not in use and connect it to your charger. I am using a 12v AGM battery in series with my 12v sys to run a 24v Groco Hydromatic. I use 2 DPST solenoids to move the battery from series to the 12v charger circuit.

Have you thought about adding a dedicated 24V bank on the bridge just for your electronics? I'm sure most if not all of your electronics can run off 24V.
    Jack Sardina

Quote Originally Posted by saltshaker View Post
    Have you thought about adding a dedicated 24V bank on the bridge just for your electronics? I'm sure most if not all of your electronics can run off 24V.
    Most will run from 10 - 30 V DC. The converter for the RADAR is pretty important since the RADAR can save your life. Don't cut corners. Get the right stuff or get a sailboat. losing power to your navigational electronics sucks. Especially since it never happens at a good time.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Unfortunately, space is limited up there. I've installed a bunch of Simrad boxes in the console, and already have a big stereo amp and the autopilot pump there as well, so there isn't room for a new battery or two. I'm thinking that I'll probably just go with the TX06 and be done with it. Everything else runs just fine off the 12v system.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Most will run from 10 - 30 V DC. The converter for the RADAR is pretty important since the RADAR can save your life. Don't cut corners. Get the right stuff or get a sailboat. losing power to your navigational electronics sucks. Especially since it never happens at a good time.
    This will give me 100% redundancy except for the weather (and tunes), since I am keeping my old Ray RL80RC system in place. I think the 6kw will just have to do. I was hoping that the 10kw would be better at picking up feeding birds while fishing, or making popcorn up on the hard top.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bradley View Post
    This will give me 100% redundancy except for the weather (and tunes), since I am keeping my old Ray RL80RC system in place. I think the 6kw will just have to do. I was hoping that the 10kw would be better at picking up feeding birds while fishing, or making popcorn up on the hard top.
    Check the highest frequency on both units, the reason is, higher power gives better resolution, the higher power operates at higher frequencies. Of course higher power may allow you to detect the birds farther away, that depends on how fast your boat is, and how far away do you need to see the birds. I run a 4kw Furuono, and have no problem resolving birds, most of the time by the time my slow old baby gets to where the birds are they are gone.

NewMar makes a couple of 12 to 24 converters. You have a Hatteras; equip it accordingly!

http://www.newmarpower.com/DC-DC_Con...ed_Series.html
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

Quote Originally Posted by gjh View Post
    you have a hatteras; equip it accordingly!
    ]
    bravo!