Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Alternative Location of Mounting Satellite Dome

I'm trying to find a suitable location to mount a new sat dome. Dome measures 18" tall and weighs 9 lbs. My initial plan was to mount above my radar arch on the aft raked mast. It would just fit above the 4' radar array and below the wind cups (with about 1" of room to play with). But the mount I was going to use doesn't work due to the bottom plate interfering with the mast and also the mounting tabs not fitting appropriately (see photo below). Plan B was to weld a plate near the same spot, but I would need a center stanchion from the bottom of the plate to the mast for stability - which would interfere with the radar scanner. I'd prefer not to go to a pole mount at center aft of the flybridge, but that is looking like the last option. Another "bad" option is to remove the radar and mount the sat dome there (I don't use the radar and have satellite weather). Nor do I like the idea of installing a stainless steal cage above the radar scanner that the sat dome could mount to. Any one else have any other ideas on how to mount this sat dome?

photo.JPG
    Last edited by TopHattandTails; 03-16-2013 at 01:26 PM.
    Formally Top Hatt and Tails
    1980 53MY

Re: Alternative Location of Mounting Satellite Dome

Brian,
    I welded a flat plate at that exact location on my mast. It has worked great with no extra support underneath. The dish only weighs 9lbs so support was not an issue.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Any chance you could snap a photo? Interested in how large the plate is and if you went all the way around with the weld bead? Much paint needed after the job on the mast?
    1980 53MY

I could get a good photo next week. The weld went around both sides of the mast. And yes, paint was needed, but that wasn't too bad.

I looked through my photos and the best I can find for now is this distant view.

Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 03-19-2013 at 09:22 PM.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Sometimes youre AVIS and sometimes youre the other guy! ws

yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

Hah! That's the truth. Thanks Bill. Sky - looks like the plate is on the same plane as the spreaders? Nice job. You still has the template sitting around? Why invent the wheel, right. I'll have to get a shop to fabricate, paint, and weld, but I like the way it sits up there!
    1980 53MY

Just so ya know, Ppat chewed me out for not posting this where it really belongs LOL... ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults