Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Re: Fuel on the fire

Window shop, touch, ask questions at WM, but then go home and buy it anywhere else. That's my plan going fwd. it's awfully nice of them to provide that service to me for absolute free...
    Formally Top Hatt and Tails
    1980 53MY

There is no figuring WM pricing. Two months ago I needed Sealand Vacuflush hose adapters. WM had one in stock for about $18 and would need to order the others. Lewis Marine got me the four that I needed the next day for about $2 each. That's right, WM was nine times higher.

This week I was looking for an impeller for the Westerbeke... WM wanted $80 plus shipping, A local boat yard was $43 and internet was $40 +/- $2 plus shipping.

Bobk

If we're really throwing fuel on the fire here....

I'm going to give them a kudo. Normally I feel the same way about their pricing, but a while ago they allowed me to return an un-opened item that I had bought several years before. They were not only willing to take it back which was surprising in itself, but they gave me a credit for the current price that was significantly higher than what I originally paid. I almost ran someone over in the parking lot trying to get out of there before they realized their mistake.

I also began thinking of buying and storing items from them as an investment.

That being said, I realize with their margins they can afford to do these things. But there is a positive side and they deserve credit for that.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Hi All,

Madhatter was aparently the recipient of your return !!!!!!
    Gene
    Former Owner 1974 Hatteras Yachtfish
    Glittering Image

Hull # 50
    Total Production 1972-1975 Sixty Four

I had then match Defender last year during the sale when I bought a new Simrad system. The display failed during the summer, and the mgr at the Stratford Ct store went out of her way to get me a new one from Simrad. She even got them to overnite it to me. I was very happy with the service.

That said, if they won't match Defenders, I'll be buying my second display and open array to complete the system from Defenders, not West next month.

Interesting about matching if the store is within 25 miles of Defenders. Their Mystic and Old Saybrook stores are within 25 miles. I wonder if the Stratford store will match the Mystic store as they match the Defenders price? Should be an interesting conversation if nothing else.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

My issue with WMs price matching BS is that it becomes my responsibility to do all the price checking/proving to them. I refuse to waste my time doing that.

Oh well, as noted, WM couldn't care less that a few owners of old Hatts (or whatever else) don't shop there. They do plenty of business with their real target market so they don't need/care about our business anyway. It's not a problem getting parts from other sources - internet or local (at least in the Kent Island/Annapolis area - anyway so I don't see any reason to bother with giving my business to WM, even on the few occasions where they actually carry an item I need.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

For the shameless price hounds, find a business with a wholesale "Port Supply" acct at WM, and have them give you a card. It lets them bump up their volume and gets them better prices.

Does this mean you guys won't be buying engine motor oil from West Marine?

Quote Originally Posted by Boatnut View Post
    They couldn't source it if they had too - at any price! Napa for me...
    Formally Top Hatt and Tails
    1980 53MY

Quote Originally Posted by Boatnut View Post
    Hi All.

Never have, don't plan on it.
    Gene
    Former Owner 1974 Hatteras Yachtfish
    Glittering Image

Hull # 50
    Total Production 1972-1975 Sixty Four