Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Re: Hardwood Floors and Galley pics

Looks wonderful and the time with your son is what life is all about. My son at about 3 years old dropped small bolts down the dip stick tube. Lol. Still, great memories. He has grown up on the boat and he doesn't know what life is like without a boat! :-). There are some things you can only do on a boat. Enjoy!

Question - what's the level being used for? That was the one odd tool I saw in the photos. I use my outboard, second holding tank to judge level. Empty, we list to port; half full is level; full lists to starboard.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Lol. The levels are just for making straight lines.

I bought over 500 square feet of Aformosia veneer and we used Scot's vacuum press to glue it to the plywood. I have extra veneer if anyone needs some.
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

David
    Major project. Very nice work. Thanks for sharing.
    How does the vacuum press work? What kind of glue did you use?
    Regards
    Regards,
    Vincent Castigliola
    Lilly Marie - 43 DC 1983
    Pascagoula, Mississippi

Rather than history as a peaceful continuum interrupted by war, “For the first time in the nation's history men in authority are talking about an "emergency" without a foreseeable end" _ C. Wright Mills 1956

I tried to buy aformosia plywood but the price plus shipping for two pieces was prohibitive.

Most wood shops will have a vacuum press. It is a giant heavy duty plastic bag that holds a 4x8 sheet of plywood attached to a vacuum pump. He uses regular carpenters wood glue, I'm not sure what brand. The veneer pieces are cut with a special veneer saw then taped together on the back side, then flipped over onto the glued plywood. The vacuum press flattens out the veneer while the glue dries in about 30 minutes. Then it's ready for sanding, installation and finishing. It's pretty cool.
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

We're really spoiled here. Just about 3 blocks away is a lumber yard that sells all kinds of exotic ply, boards, moulding, etc. and is priced quite reasonably. We can get anything from teak quarter round, to a heavy block of solid teak, afromosia ply, all kinds of veneers. It's a great place.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

David
    Thanks for the explanation. Cool process, good looking result.
    Regards
    Regards,
    Vincent Castigliola
    Lilly Marie - 43 DC 1983
    Pascagoula, Mississippi

Rather than history as a peaceful continuum interrupted by war, “For the first time in the nation's history men in authority are talking about an "emergency" without a foreseeable end" _ C. Wright Mills 1956

Following up:

IMG_0316.jpgIMG_0314.jpg

Another before and after:

IMG_0310.jpgIMG_0311.jpg

10. Re: Hardwood Floors and Galley pics

David, great job. If Windsong had looked like that when we were neighbors, we might have just bought her ourselves. Congratulations!
    Bill
    Brickell - Miami, Fl
    Cape Elizabeth, Maine