Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Making Oil---6V92 TA

I earlier posted a question about the extent of work required to the engines following a coolant leak into the lubricating system.

In the result, I had the heads tested and re-conditioned (new valves and springs)and complete new cylinder kits installed.

We ran the boat----no apparent issues (leaks etc) and I paid my bill.

After 3 hours of operation, I noted with dismay that the oil level on the dipstick was above "Full". I checked the coolant level in the radiator---it was normal. I extracted an oil sample---there was no separation. I called the mechanic---in a panic----and he suggested that "making oil" was normal as material in the engine returned to solution with use.

And so---I took her out for another 4 hours and again, I find that the oil level is above "Full" on the dipstick though again, there is no apparent "loss" of coolant.

And my question is----is this "making oil" to be expected and, if so---for how long? There can't be that much "sludge" returning to solution, can there?

The mechanic re-confirmed that the oil should be changed after 40-50 hours of use.

Re: Making Oil---6V92 TA

usally making oil is when there is diesel fuel entering the crankcase,bad fuel injector etc. How were the new rings broken-in?

Just FYI my old boss took delivery of the first 46 with 8/92's in Cape May. On the first trip offshore a cracked nut on one of the injector tubes filled the crankcase with fuel. The carry over fuel oil mix set the turbo on fire and we almost lost the boat. It took Hatt and DDA almost a year to fix the boat. I ended up with all his charter work but as I understand Hatt only compensated him for slip rental and 1 haul out. So much for new boat warantee.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

I'm betting you're dumping fuel into the crank. When you said you pulled an oil sample, did you have it tested for the presence of contaminents (like fuel), or just eyeball it for any seperation?
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

I am in on this too! I am betting on fuel. Run the motors with the valve covers off (one at a time) you will find your source. Running the boat if it is fuel is going to kill the rest of the engine.

Take an oil sample and have it analyzed. Then you will know what you are chasing and not guessing and go from there.
    Bob
    "CRAZY HORSE"

I would do an analysis but, also demand the mechanic do the same and see what he says , be careful not to make the issue worse and thus void any claim for defective, faulty work.

You didn't say if the oil was milky....that would be water from somewhere. If as most suspect it is fuel, your oil has lost lubricating properties. In neither case should you run the engine.

Did you also change the bearings when you did the kits etc? That was highly recommended as a necessity when when coolant contaminates the oil.

Bobk

Your mechanics response doesn't make sense to me. If you did the kits he would have dropped the pan and hopefully cleaned it. If you're making that much oil, it's coming from somewhere. I also would suspect fuel in the oil but the only way to be certain as to what is going on is with oil analysis. I wouldn't run the boat until I knew what was going on.
    Jack Sardina

Good bet - Fuel in oil. I think you'd be able to smell it if that much was getting into the oil. A quick check is to touch the end of the dip stick to a paper towel. You can often see the fuel and lube oil separate. If not shur, do the same with the other engine and you'll see the difference.

If fuel is getting into the oil, it'll likely be from an injector, fuel tube or fuel manifold problem.

good luck - Will