Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 99 of 186 FirstFirst ... 49 89 97 98 99 100 101 109 149 ... LastLast

Re: 1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 refit

I wrapped up the back panel framing for the V-berth closet, then varnished the panels and solid mahogany door opening parts in preparation for final assembly. Since this is just a closet interior, I used a Varathane varnish product. Low odor and water clean-up are nice, but this stuff just doesn't flow out like traditional varnish. And they call it "GLOSS" but it's more like semi-gloss. I won't be using this ever again.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Still More On the V-berth Closet

Cheers
    Q

It looks good Q. I have tried water based "varnish" several times with the same conclusion, that I would not use it again. You would think that with today's high tech chemistry, we could expect a better product. Oh well, the old tried and true materials work very well other than the VOC's (smells). I look forward to watching your progress. Thanks for sharing it with us...

Walt

Thanks Walt! My pleasure!

I finally got the V-berth closet installed. Then I very carefully cut and fitted the 1/4" ribbon-striped mahogany panel to the outside of the closet. It turned out pretty good, if I do say so myself. But...dang...it takes me a ridiculous amount of time to fit even one panel like this. Lotsa curves and angles.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Installing the V-berth Closet

Cheers,
    Q

Stunning. Outstanding craftsmanship q.

Thanks!

Jim asked a while back how I was going to tie the bed foundation to the upper side walls. Well...like this:

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: More V-berth Cabinetry

Cheers,
    Q

After getting the panels rough cut, next I did the final fit and screwed them together. Then I started cutting and fitting the top panels that will connect the upright ones to the curvy mahogany walls. Lots of compound angles and curves makes this very challenging work. But at the end of every day, I've got a couple more panels cut.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Still More V-berth Cabinetry

Cheers,
    Q

Spectacular craftsmanship
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Thanks!

As I've been building this out, though, I realized that my air conditioning ideas won't work. I'm going to have to tap into the collective wisdom at the HOF to see about the best way to go.

Move to San Francisco. You never need air conditioning. Seriously!
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California