Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 62 of 186 FirstFirst ... 12 52 60 61 62 63 64 72 112 162 ... LastLast

Re: 1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 refit

Wait until I get the Japanese heated bidet toilet seat installed...best boat heads on the planet.

I finally got the "Throne Room" ceiling panels installed...a month later than I'd hoped, but things have been busy. While I'm working on the ceiling panels, I'm also making progress prepping the V-berth itself for interior panels, engine wiring, muffler platforms...busy, busy, busy. But more on that later. On the ceiling panels, I also had a chance to test out the rare earth magnet shower curtain suspension plan, and it looks like it will work! There's a video of the magnet jumping to the faired panel in today's blog that's kinda cool.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: "Throne Room" Ceiling Panels II

Cheers,
    Q

Quentin, in the video I see the magnet flipping occasionally from N-S alignment.

Did you place N or S up in your plywood embedding? I can see it would be nice to have the correct field aligned in the ears so that the curtain goes up in a preferential way.

DAN

Hey Dan.

The ears will be long, soft, and floppy, like a beagle's. The magnets will be free to move within the ears, so they'll jump to the magnet in the panel and self-align. That's the plan, anyway.

My painter is too busy to do the fiberglass and paint in the V-berth head, so I switched over to the engine room and finished up the new muffler platforms then installed them. It really sucks only having one 120v 20 amp slow-blow circuit breaker feeding half of the yard. I find that my AlphaTIG welder pops the breaker almost immediately if I run straight AC output. If I use high frequency and ramp it up to 200Hz, I can run it long enough to attach the parts. But I've got to let the extension cord cool off between welds. It's a proper 250/125v/30 amp marine shore power cord, but at 149 amps output this supply is right on the edge. And if anybody else in the yard turns on a vacuum or sander...POP! goes the breaker!

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Muffler Platforms

Cheers,
    Q

You need a generator.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

I have one! My Miller Trailblazer 280NT does all welding processes plus it puts out 9Kva/33a @ 220v. But to use it means loading all 550lbs of it into the truck. For these little welds, it wasn't worth the effort. I will need to use the TB and spoolgun when I install the raw water inlet stand pipes, and I've got a couple of other welds to do that day. But I've got enough tools for now.

If I were to ever (again) lose my mind to the point of doing a project of this magnitude I would invest in an 18 or 24 foot trailer with a mobile workshop in it, including generation. Hook it up and drag it with you, have it all available. Store materials in it so you have room in the project and don't have to keep moving stuff around like you just did. And it's more secure in the driveway than in the yard.

Now get busy. We need to have that splash party before the snow comes.
    Last edited by oscarvan; 05-25-2016 at 12:13 PM.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Is the pipe in one of the photos the muffler outlet? It looks big enough. I've forgotten some of the geography here.

Yup, Jim, It's 6" side exhaust, and there's a hole for a raw water dump so it doesn't all have to go through the showerhead and muffler.

Oscar, for the money you'd spend on dry slip fees, a trailer that size, and all the fuel dragging it back and forth, I'd be inclined (with perfect 20-20 hindsight) to buy a used metal building and have the boat hauled to my backyard. I had a buddy who did that with a 58' Roamer that he converted to a trawler. No driving required...just walk outside, turn on switches, and get to work.

Here's his boat, splashed and on the way to Florida from the Great Lakes. We both started at about the same time, but he wasn't losing 6hrs per weekend on the road. And he wasn't burglarized. And no boats blew up next to his, causing damage all around. No semi-annual tent rebuilding. It's really the way to go for anybody crazy enough to take these sorts of projects on.
    20151107_160237.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by q240z View Post
    ...We both started at about the same time, but he wasn't losing 6hrs per weekend on the road. And he wasn't burglarized. And no boats blew up next to his, causing damage all around. No semi-annual tent rebuilding.
    And he did not sacrifice his time to document and post great reports so our forum (and presumably the CC one and your blog) can follow along and learn!

Many thanks for that,

DAN