Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 50 of 186 FirstFirst ... 40 48 49 50 51 52 60 100 150 ... LastLast

Re: 1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 refit

I just spent the better part of two days reading that blog..... first off, one of the most comprehensive records of such a project I have ever seen...... wow. Secondly that will probably be the best built boat in the country..... Thirdly, you are nuts. In a good way, but nuts none the less. I thought I was bad.....

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks, oscarvan! I agree completely with the nuts part. There are plenty of days when I regret having started the project--who knew in 2007 that older boats would drop in value by 1/2 or more within just a few years. I could have bought a 60' Chris Craft Commander in good condition in 2014 for far less than I'm into this project right now. But then, once the market crashed I was so far into the project that it made no sense to stop. And, truth be told, I do enjoy the hell out of it when things work out as planned.

Think about the boat you will have when it's all done. You will get tired of collecting trophies at antique boat shows. Not to mention how nice it's going to be to use the boat on the water. You'll be fine.

I'm going to be too tired from the refit to go to any antique boat shows!

In other, much more promising, window news, I'm installing the bow seat windows. These are the ones that Motion made a couple years ago, and 2/3 of those were oversized, too. I had to adjust the paint in the bow seat window openings a bit to get two of them to fit (that's after I sent the windows back Motion for being waaaay too big...now 2 of them are just slightly too big). But before the windows could go in, I had to install the mahogany interior panels that the windows clamp to. I gotta say...it's looking pretty good.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Installing the Bow Seat Window Mahogany Panels

Cheers,
    Q

I got the last mahogany panel and bow seat window installed. We'll put a big ol' fat check on the punch list next to bow seat windows. For a weekend warrior wood whisperer, I gotta say the complex mahogany panels fit pretty darned good.

Next, I've got to get back into the tent-building business. I'm expecting lots of snow this winter, and Tent Model X took a big hit from the boat next to mine that exploded back in July. There's no way it'd hold up to a snow storm in its current condition. Anyway, I'm just real glad the bow seat windows are done. The sooner the exterior is waterproof, the sooner I can wash all the dust off!

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Completing the Bow Seat Window Installation

Cheers,
    Q

Looking Good

For your tent need more pitch snow needs to slide off easier than trying to make them strong enough to hold it.
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

Yup, but funky conditions can make the snow stick and build up. I haven't figured out why it happens, but I've seen it in marinas even on boats that have a lot of pitch. Freezing rain that switches to snow, maybe? Anyway, this tent, which I jokingly refer to as Model X, in "winter configuration" held up to snow storms last year and the year before, so it should be OK. 1-1/2" PVC pipe with 60-degree connectors at the peak and a 2x4 tie beam down the center seems to do the trick. 45-degree connectors during Snowmageddon brought the roof down.
    Last edited by q240z; 12-18-2015 at 07:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 34Hatt View Post
    Looking Good

For your tent need more pitch snow needs to slide off easier than trying to make them strong enough to hold it.
    Read his blog. He now has more experience building tents than all of us put together.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

I think this boat looks great. Next thing you ought to tackle is restoring an E-type. That will make this look easy. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    Read his blog. He now has more experience building tents than all of us put together.
    I have for the last few years maybe you shoild look at mine.
    And I have built 4 others. Anything else I should know?
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>