Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 46 of 186 FirstFirst ... 36 44 45 46 47 48 56 96 146 ... LastLast

Re: 1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 refit

They make heads like that for boats? You astonish me.

Well, it's not like they're marine rated or anything, but I've put them on all of the big boats I've owned. They don't work with Vacuflush or any other proprietary or otherwise funky-shaped bowl top. But they fit well on modern, elongated grinder-type heads. Here's the one on my 1968 Chris Craft Commander 42.

My article for today is a loooong gripe about an American company that makes what looks like a good product that costs a pretty penny, but their questionable engineering, lousy and fabulously overpriced kit accessories, and all-around poor product support set me off on a jag. If I can inspire even one person not to buy this product, I will feel vindicated...and the more, the merrier.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Do NOT buy Globe Drivesavers

Cheers,
    Q

With the one engine finally installed and the aft head done, we got some serious sanding done on the original salon mahogany. We started with 120 and then hit it with 220 grit. I'm going to be washing mahogany dust out of my pores for weeks to come...but it's lookin' pretty good.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Sanding the Salon

Cheers,
    Q

Circa 2007

Fast forward to last week

Before I can hit the salon with stain, I had to cut some new panels. Unfortunately, the new wood and old wood do not share certain common properties--like grain, color, or degree of oxidation. But, it's better than the old rotten plywood, and hopefully the stain will level things out!

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Cutting New Salon Cabinet Panels

Cheers,
    Q

We got the stain done in the salon. That Pettit 1095p paste filler stain leveled out the colors very nicely. It's a bit redder than I expected, but the color comes pretty close to the new African mahogany panels I used in the aft stateroom. So, for now, we're not staining the new panels I cut. Once the stained wood gets clear coated, I'll decide whether or not to stain the new panels or leave them natural before clear coating.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Staining the Salon Mahogany

Cheers,
    Q

We got all of the trim pieces stained with the same Pettit 1095p, hung up, and ready to spray. Just need one more warm day before old man winter comes knockin'.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Prepping the Salon Trim for Varnish

Cheers,
    Q

Winter is coming, and I need to get all of the spray painting done before it gets too chilly. Last week was downright cold, but we got a few warm days here so we knocked out the first coats of clear in the salon and on the trim. It turned out pretty good, I think.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Spraying ICA Base Coat Clear in the Salon

Cheers,
    Q

We're making good progress on the salon. We sprayed the last coats of ICA base coat, so it's great to compare the salon wood as we found it with how it is now. Next, I'll get the steps done, then get the port engine installed before Old Man Winter rears his ugly head.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer Refit: Wrapping up the Base Coat Varnish in the Salon

Cheers,
    Q

The old (circa 2007):

The new (October 2015):

Nice work! Speaking of rearing it's ugly head, what's new in the head compartment?Are you concentrating on the salon for the moment?