Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 105 of 186 FirstFirst ... 5 55 95 103 104 105 106 107 115 155 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,050 of 1855

Re: 1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 refit

If the day ever comes to scrap this thing they're going to need explosives......

C'mon Q..... get 'er done!
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

So easy to say...it's the doing part that's hard.

Back to the boatyard today. One more panel will come out of the stack. It keeps getting shorter. When they're all gone, the boat should be done!

Two panels came out of the stack! The missus came out and helped whip out a couple of patterns for the big veneer panels I had to install. They turned out pretty good!

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Fitting a Veneer Panel For the Galley Bulkhead

Cheers,
    Q

Before

After

Well, I finally wrapped up the last panels for the V-berth cabinetry. Next, I need too take this last cabinet apart and top it with mahogany veneer, then apply ICA base coat clear, and glue and screw it all back together.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Back to the V-berth Cabinet

Cheers,
    Q

I got some veneer work done over the weekend. I used epoxy as the adhesive rather than contact cement, since I've seen too many cemented veneers separate after a few years in the marine environment. The V-berth porthole panel turned out pretty good!

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Mahogany Veneers for the V-berth Cabinet

Cheers,
    Q

Quentin, what other veneers are available? When I did the refrigerator cabinet in my boat, I used a plywood that doesn't match the afromosia interior. Can I buy afromosia veneer? I could remove the panels and re-veneer them, which would match a whole lot better.

You can thank the EPA for the contact cement not holding. It used to work great but not anymore. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Jim, I've been really happy with Herzog Rare and Exotic Wood Veneers. It's been a while since I used their website, but they take pix of the actual lumber they have in stock for veneers. You go through the pix, find the lumber you want, and they make the veneers. It's not cheap, but I don't know anybody else offering this kind of option.

Scarlett, the contact cement that I've seen fail is the good ol' stuff Chris Craft used for its faux teak interior on my 42' Commander. Can't blame that on the EPA...it didn't even exist when the boat was made!

Cheers,
    Q

I used the same epoxy technique for the veneers on the other two panels. There were a couple of errors that I discovered during this trial, but none were disastrous. The veneer work is a wrap. Now the panels are off to the paint shop for clear coating.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: More Mahogany Veneers for the V-berth Cabinet

Cheers
    Q

How do you apply the pressure to hold the veneer while the epoxy sets?