Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 186 FirstFirst ... 27 35 36 37 38 39 47 87 137 ... LastLast

Re: 1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 refit

OK, now you've got me curious.

What problem or inadequacy is there in the air operated switches that's resolved with the Ultra switches?

Nothing. I'm just winding you up. I've never had the air-op switches.

I did have an aluminum boat, a Striker. I don't remember how the bilge pumps were operated, but they weren't on air-op remote switches. I don't even think I have any photos of that boat left, probably because owning it wasn't exactly a great experience.

Like I need more winding!

Back to the project boat...I need to get the Roamer weatherproof ASAP if I'm going to launch later this year. The bow hatch needs to be installed as part of that process. But you know how these things turn out. It's never easy.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Installing the Bow Hatch…or not

Cheers,
    Q

I made the new plywood pieces for the hatch opening and installed them using a different fastening system than Chris Craft did. I also made sure there is epoxy of one sort or another sealing up every aluminum and wood edge...even the inside of holes is coated. Hopefully, I'll never have to redo that again.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Wrapping Up the Bow Hatch Installation

Cheers,
    Q

Another nice piece of work. This is getting to be my favorite thread on the forum.

This thread is inspiring; however, the tip of the iceberg. For serious boat restoration titilation, go to Q's blog. A world of detailed information and great photos. Thanks for taking the time from your project to share.

All I can think to add is my experience with plywood. I have used Lloyds rated 1088 Hyrotek plywood for a number of years with good results. Somewhat heavier, but stronger, better looking if varnished, and rated more rot resistant than Okume, at lower cost. Shipping cost is not bad when you order in quantity.
    Regards,
    Vincent Castigliola
    Lilly Marie - 43 DC 1983
    Pascagoula, Mississippi

Rather than history as a peaceful continuum interrupted by war, “For the first time in the nation's history men in authority are talking about an "emergency" without a foreseeable end" _ C. Wright Mills 1956

Thanks for the kind words and the tip about Hyrotek.

I was looking at meranti marine ply not too long ago. I don't know if it was Hyrotek or not, but it was a lot prettier than okoume.

I finally got final settlement from my boat insurance company on the theft loss last year. Some of the OEM parts that were stolen cannot be replaced, so I have to break open the paint and do some more fiberglass work as an alternative solution. Time to get busy converting Tent Model X into a paint booth again...

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Transforming the Tent (once again)

Cheers,
    Q

Some unexpected complications have come up -- my painter isn't feeling well and my windshield frame fabricator isn't delivering the goods -- so I shifted gears knocked off another item on the honey-do list. If anybody knows a skilled metal fabricator who can work aluminum in the Chesapeake Bay area, please let me know.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Installing the Galley Bulkhead

Cheers,
    Q

It's nice when stuff that's been in the works for years finally just sorta falls into place.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Installing the Bow Seat Hatches

Cheers,
    Q