Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 112 of 186 FirstFirst ... 12 62 102 110 111 112 113 114 122 162 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,120 of 1855

Re: 1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 refit

When you’re done can you post a video on YouTube? Love the photos but a video can really show your story.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by lake of the woods View Post
    Q,

Do you think you will be able to splash your boat this year and move it closer to home? How long will it be before you can start cruising?

Mark
    Lake of the Woods.
    I don't think I'll be splashing this year. The storm damage and having to rebuild the tent is going to knock me back six weeks or so. I just don't see it happening. I think I'm just going to stop guessing when we'll be able to splash the boat. Every time I start feeling optimistic, something comes along and kicks me in the nethers.

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    When you’re done can you post a video on YouTube? Love the photos but a video can really show your story.
    I've gotten several requests for videos, but after my experience being burgled a few years back, I don't want to give potential theives any information that would make it easier to defeat my alarm system. With pix, I can control what shows up a lot easier than a walk-thru video. Plus, Youtube has engaged in partisan politics by demonetizing voices it disagrees with and otherwise acting as a corrupt bad actor. As a general rule, I try to avoid doing business with or otherwise supporting entities that put their politics before products.

That said, I got that cabinet panels varnished and then glued up the box. It turned out pretty nice, if I do say so myself.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Assembling the Port Salon Cabinet Box

Cheers
    Q

Quote Originally Posted by q240z View Post
    I've gotten several requests for videos, but after my experience being burgled a few years back, I don't want to give potential theives any information that would make it easier to defeat my alarm system. With pix, I can control what shows up a lot easier than a walk-thru video. Plus, Youtube has engaged in partisan politics by demonetizing voices it disagrees with and otherwise acting as a corrupt bad actor. As a general rule, I try to avoid doing business with or otherwise supporting entities that put their politics before products.

That said, I got that cabinet panels varnished and then glued up the box. It turned out pretty nice, if I do say so myself.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Assembling the Port Salon Cabinet Box

Cheers
    Q

I agree with you Q about companies and actors etc trying to inflict their political bias on everyone. They
    should stick with their line of work and stop thinking that they are so correct and anyone who disagrees
    with them is a wacko or worse.... I'm sick of it and I won't support either group by buying a ticket to
    a movie they are in or buying a product or service from the offending business.

Walt

I feel for you. You have had more than your share of setbacks. Kudos for refusing to give up.

How else am I gonna spend my weekends??? lol

I decided I want to get rid of a bunch of useful-sized 1/8" mahogany plywood scraps. So I started cutting and fitting pieces inside the original Chris Craft cabinetry in the salon. Unfortunately, none of the OEM angles are 90°...but it's a boat, so I guess that's to be expected. It sure does add to the amount of time spent fitting panels. It's looking pretty good though.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: The Salon Aft Cabinet

Cheers.
    Q

Before

After

I'm still trying to get estimates for repairs from the Nor'easter damage. But I'm on a roll with the cabinet interiors. I got all of the 1/8" mahogany veneer pieces cut and fitted to the galley cabinet, too.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Making the Ugly Galley Cabinet Pretty

Cheers,
    Q

Before

After

I got the interior panels cut for another OEM cabinet. They sure do look better in mahogany than 50yo grungy white paint.

There's an old saying that joinery on boats is never square, which makes sense if you're trying to conform to a curving hull. But what's strange is that even in this rectangular cabinet, the master craftsmen didn't nail the corners at 90°. Maybe one out of every four corners is square. That really adds to the amount of time it takes to fit panels like these.

Anyway, it's looking a lot better, and the plywood stack is shrinking by the week. "Progress"

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Making the Ugly Salon Forward Cabinet Pretty

Cheers,

Before

After

Looking good, Quentin. First warm day, I'm calling you up and coming down to look in person....

Thanks Jim!

I took all the veneer plywood pieces home and varnished them there using Minwax Urethane Clear Gloss. It's easy to work with, looks good even when brushed, and is very tough stuff...perfect for cabinet interiors. I put the first group of varnished panels in the aft salon cabinet. It looks tons better than what Chris Craft did, if I do say so myself.

1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit: Installing Varnished Mahogany Panels in the Aft Salon Cabinet

Cheers,
    Q

Before

After