Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Source for mattress

Gentlemen

I have a 34 I'm finishing and I generally use Zeno Mattress in Ft Lauderdale for custom mattresses and they do the temperpedic memory foam topping. I've been pretty happy with their work, but the last they did for my 52 seems it has an issue with the cover bunching up, etc. Boat lives in the Bahamas.

My plan is to fabricate an insert to make a bigger mattress in the 34. Does anyone have a suggestion on anyone else that does the temperpedic type custom work. I'm old and my back hurts.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Source for mattress

I'm a Zeno fan also, and only did the master and Guest. I think i ordered their best one. Fabulous for the back. There are many here that are happy with less expensive options. The packaging for Zeno made it easy to get to the master. Worth the $$ to me.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

I agree. They were rather expensive, but did the job in three days. The fellow there was as boat savvy as I've encountered. I gave him the decreasing width measurements for the master mattress and he understood immediatrely. Just didn't know if there was another high end choice.

4. Re: Source for mattress

I have not used this company but I have known Dave Black, the sales manager, for many years in the boat business here in Fort Lauderdale.
    Handcraft Mattress Company, 1602 NW 23rd Ave, Fort Lauderdale 33311 954-830-1799
    www.boatbeds.com

http://www.comfortcustombedding.com/

Did a mattress for me, just going on second month of ownership. Very happy with product and service. Brett

Actually, getting ready to do this in our master stateroom. Visited the Original Mattress Factory earlier in the week (http://www.originalmattress.com/mobile). Had a good conversation with the folks their, even got a tour of their factory in Orlando.

- A custom bed runs as the following:
    > Cost of Standard size bed selected ($300-1,200) and then “notched down” with the following additional costs
    > $50 Custom charge
    > $25 for 1st notch
    > $10 for each additional notch
    - Takes approximately 3 business days once they have the template, measurements and selected bed
    - Latex beds can be cut to size, too.
    - Need to get template made from paper, cannot take bed into factory, need specific measurements
    Best regards,
    --
    David

I'm not sure where you are located but we had ours made at Art Van's furniture. I guess, according to the salesman, it is common. We had Tempurpedic foam cut and installed for both staterooms.

Chris
    Superior Nights 53C

Great sources, thanks all. I'm in Orlando. Last one I had done by Zeno was for 52C master and it was 1K cash. They have a cool trick where they make a hinge in the mattress and it folds in half lengthwise to allow getting to hatches, etc. You can't feel it when sleeping at all.

I think I will look at the original mattress factory.

A cheaper and easier alternative is to buy the Tempurpedic mattress that tickles your fancy, unroll it on the berth and let it expand a few hours, then simply trim to fit with the electric carving knife you stole from The Admiral's kitchen. They cut foam like magic - quickly and easily, no special skill needed.
    Hint.... if you want to avoid pi$$ing off the Admiral buy a new carving knife at Target or Wally World just for this job, they cost less than $15.
    "The older I get, the faster I was......."

1979 60C "Ohana" hull# 331

Roger,

I just got my mattress from Handcraft Mattress in Ft. Lauderdale. Call Dave Black, he was great to deal with. Spent last weekend on the boat...slept like a baby. PM me if you want to see their work (I have a hinge, and vinyl on the bottom of the mattress).

They'll have a discount going on for the Miami Boat Show this week.

Jason