Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

1990 30kw Northern Lights generator M964 electrical problem

I have a 1985 72' Hatteras custom for the last 6 years. Except for broken bow thruster, everything works well. I live abroad and continually maintain constantly. NowI have a new problem.

My Northern Lights generator went dead electrically. Tried to start it up after it ran out of fuel (long story). I purged the fuel lines,new Racor, checked connections, battery is fully charged. I went to start the gen. and it was just about to start, then it went dead.toggle switches loose and breaker does not set strong.
    Has anyone ever have this problem? Does anyone know about breakers on Northern Lights gen? Any suggestions welcome.

Re: 1990 30kw Northern Lights generator M964 electrical problem

I guess I am going to respond to my own thread. This was not the only forum (3) that did not respond to my request. After extensive research, I found out this is not frequent problem but is not
    uncommon.

My response is to help anyone else that ay have this problem. The owner manual is not helpful. Attempting to reach to company is not helpful. Talking to other boat owners and captains was not helpful, expect in one instance after the fact. I called diesel mechanics to diagnose and fix the problem. I explained the problem, similar to the one on the forum, most said make an appt. and they will attempt to come out.

Finally, I called the mechanic company that I avoided because I was afraid of the cost. After again explaining the situation, they asked me if I pushed the "red" button?. What red button? with a flashlight I found the red button on the side toward the engine. I pushed the red button and it clicked. I then tried starting the generator. It responded immediately and started. The red reset button was never mentioned in the owner's manual. If you have a similar problem, find and push the red button.

3. Re: 1990 30kw Northern Lights generator M964 electrical problem

Many generators have a reset button that must be used if the engine shuts itself down after an over heat or low oil pressure warning. The theory is to make someone check the genny before restarting.
    Perhaps the fuel starvation caused the reset to trip somehow.

Not the red button!!!!

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Thanks for sharing your findings.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375