Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

lots of moisture

Last night i saw a water mark running down the port side of the V berth. I investigated and found the whole anchor locker soaking wet. Condensation was dripping off the ceiling of the locker. Also, the Fwd hatch has lots of condensation as well. My wife and I have been using the FWD shower because its a little bigger than the aft shower. Anyway, we had some cold weather (30's) so I understand the warm wet inside vs cold outside, but never this bad. So how do I keep this moisture under control? We do run the exhaust fan while showering. Also, how did the moisture make it into the anchor locker? I have a dehumidifier running now with 45% humid, so no more drips. Boy, the joys of living aboard in the winter. I'm not complaining though......any suggestions?
    Pate B.
    1985 43' MY "Blue Bayou"
    Southport, NC

2. Re: lots of moisture

We had to add a dehumidifier to our V berth during the winters for the same reason.. IF we were to use the boat heater for the two staterooms all day it wouldn't be a problem.... But so far it hasn't been cold enough to do it.. Plus at night we just use the West Marine electric heater in our stateroom.
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

Re: lots of moisture

Pate,

If there is moisture in the anchor locker that is beyond what you would expect from wet chain or rode you ought to check the deck core. Vent and dry the surface moisture and put a moisture meter to the underside. Core leaks in the pulpit area are a common Hatteras problem. If this is your problem, get it fixed as soon as you can before it becomes a big problem.

Bobk

Re: lots of moisture

I had to put a house dehumidifier on the boat when using the electric heat. after a while the condensation was excessive without it.

Running the reverse cycle on hot air heat is better than the electric heat to cut down on the humidity.

Also, cooking and showers adds quite a bit of moisture to the air.

The dehumidifier removed so much water when I first started using it that I was shocked.
    It I keep it set to 45% and it only has to be emptied every 4 or 5 days now.

Also, believe it or not, if you open the doors and let the air exchange with the outside air once a day it will help a great deal.

I would like to add a dedicated ducted dehumidifier to help keep the boat dry.