Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: 1968 45' Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Yes, and that one on eBay has 3208s, which is a plus. Most 42s had 6-71s, and naturals at that.
    I would not take a 3208 over a 671for in a boat that size. They do not have liners and have to be removed to be rebuilt or replaced. Also the 3208n is a sipping 210 hp at best. A 671n about 300. You can add a hundred hp to either kind of safely and after that you get problematic. The 3208 is a great engine but I think the boat is just too heavy for it.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    I would not take a 3208 over a 671for in a boat that size. They do not have liners and have to be removed to be rebuilt or replaced. Also the 3208n is a sipping 210 hp at best. A 671n about 300. You can add a hundred hp to either kind of safely and after that you get problematic. The 3208 is a great engine but I think the boat is just too heavy for it.
    Scott give this a look

http://marine.cat.com/cda/files/1014...Propulsion.pdf

when looked up on yacht world they say a total of 900 hp if that is correct the buy is getting better al the time http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1977.../United-States check out the specks
    Last edited by Tim Powell; 01-07-2013 at 07:57 PM.

I didnt say the cat could not be made to hit or exceed the 400HP mark. I just have seen less than stellar performance for any aboy the 350/375 range. Just like the detroit would be a bit scarry at 485.

I look at the engines base performance at the n version as a comparison. One has 210 the other 310.

One is 1500 Lbs the other 2500 lbs

if I were to consider a repower with either one I would have to go with the detroits. More durable at the same HP and close to impossible to kill.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

O.K If we are done discussing different Hulls and Motors
    Didn't think he was going to order it with different options

Bob how bad is the exterior such as cracks, fiberglass work, extra holes etc. Also how much experience doing paint/glass work and how much time do you have? I saw you figure 6 months may be possible but depends on many many things Including your age since I know I can't do things at the same pace as I use too!

I been there and have done it and I am always willing to help out another Nut Job because you have to be different than most to do it
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>