Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: 1968 45' Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    I don't know if that's always the issue with one hull being older and not performing as well. Series 1 36 hulls seem to outperform the series 2 although they have less interior room. The 2 different 45's are very different boats and have very different performance.
    You're right about the Series I and II 36 boats. They are different designs and the Series I boat goes faster and uses less fuel- the Series II boat is a tunnel-hull design by Jim Wynn, much more interior room and a more modern boat, but doesn't go nearly as fast.

The Series II 45C is a double-chine design, from what I've been told, and it is faster and more stable. I was told it also rolls less. I have been on both boats but not in such a way as to compare their seakeeping qualities. The Series II boat has more room inside, a better layout, and the advantage of not having a wooden aft bulkhead- they rot on boats of this vintage. Ask me how I know. With the deflation in values of older Hatteras yachts, there are some bargains out there in the Series II boats.

If the boat in question is available very cheaply, and the engines were recently majored, and he doesn't mind putting in a huge amount of sweat equity, he will have a nice old boat to run around in. There will be no upside to it, though- no matter how good it looks when complete, it won't be worth much. But if he's planning to keep it and use it a lot, perhaps that won't matter. In his shoes, though, if I were looking for one of these boats to rehab and enjoy, I'd try to find an affordable example of the Series II boat.

The Series I 45Cs have one advantage that I can see- the 71 series DDs are less prone to expensive headaches than the 92s, and most of the Series II boats had 92 DDs- personally I'd much rather have 8-71s even if the boat is not as fast. We seem to have frequent threads on 92s which are leaking coolant from damaged O-rings, and this seems a common event. And an expensive one at that.

If the boat is a 68 it was repowered with the TI's. Curious if any of the past names are Mecca. Misty, Suzie Q. or Spring Fever. I fished on all 4 and pretty sure were all 68 or 69 models. All were repowered by Yanks Boatworks in Tuckahoe Nj in the 73/74 timeframe.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Dreams and economic reality seldom merge comfortably. It all comes down to mathematics. Purchase price x rehab costs = value. Will it pay you off in the long run? Either with enjoyment or resale? What will it be worth while you have it all taken apart doing the work yourself, the Obama economy tanks worse and you need to unload it? You said you can only afford a fixer upper if considering a boat this large. If that's the case you're already approaching it 'in the hole'. Are you ready for simply 7500 + per year just to dock it? 300-400 fuel cost each weekend if doing just simple local cruising? Quality chartplotter/autopilot/radar if all is old and shot 10000. have you seen a survey? Do you need a loan to buy it? That's a tough one on a nearly 50 year old boat. Who does the current owner have insurance with? will they insure you too? Dont underestimate the insurance thing. It is a major problem for some owners of older boats. Boats cost a lot of money whether they are gold plated or rusted and rotted and you never get it back. Unless your a charter captain or some water oriented business, boats are money losing propositions. Out of curiosity, was the turboed 871 available in the 68 hatt 45? I didn't think it was available until the early seventies.

I re-built a Hatt 42 Long RangeCruiser and have started a 58 LRC. So I have some advise.
    I re-built them for me not re-sale and on the 42 replaced about everything. The only original parts on the detroits are the valve covers, block, crank cooler covers and bell housing.
    Even when you do things yourself it does cost money. You can try to select a boat that re-quires the least work on the big item. Things like the main engines as folks here have covered pretty well. But generators are expensive parts. Windows, props and shafts are expensive even if you take them out yourself. Electronics are expensive. Bimini and canvas work are expensive if you cannot do them. When you start adding them up its very often (as folks have already stated) more than purchasing a newer ready to go boat.
    Labor is a huge cost in a refit. If you can do things yourself thats great but a new 45 Sport Fish cost 800K for reason. It takes a lot of hours to make and to re-fit. We have had folks on this forum with great skills and tenacity that have pulled back from such projects.
    Sorry if this is a bummer message. I'm doing one and I love it and the 58 is my last boat too. Good luck and feel free to contact me thru the forum here if I can help. But understand I already have carpaltunnel symdrom from sanding little Skooch.
    Skooch

Look there is a 77 42 0n E Bay for 65000 probley call the guy and own it for around 50000 (this is the 3rd time on e bay)
    the boat look good and get the 45 to that condition it will take a 100000. I know i just did one and the top price for a 45 in todays market is 130000 and that is for people first time byers and it better be a 9 or 10 boat or they will walk. My 45 was in grate shape all the new stuff done the engines killed it the dag gone 692 are a pos. Always somthing turbos to watter pumps ran hot you name it it was a problem. My 46 was 1986 and a good hull but just not good engines always killed the sell. Be careful buy one someone else has fixed up........... Tim

here is the link http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/42-HA...item3f20c88903
    Last edited by Tim Powell; 01-07-2013 at 02:52 PM.

Yes, and that one on eBay has 3208s, which is a plus. Most 42s had 6-71s, and naturals at that.

Hell there's some pretty nice 53C's that could be bought for around $75K-100K, but that may not fit his needs or budget. Post some info on the 45C. If it's the one I'm thinking of, I think you could do better.
    Jack Sardina

Hi Bob, Welcome to Hatteras yacht ownership! The nice folks here on the Forum are doing their very best to try and apply logic and sound business practice to a scenario that truly doesn't lend itself to either of those things. At all. Ever.

If you like the boat you're looking at - that is if it "speaks" to you, and if you think you can fix it, and love it, then buy it. If you discover that you can't fix it, and find that your love was fleeting then you will have to either resell it or give it away to someone else. All you have to lose is 100% of your money, and perhaps some of your sanity. If you have some of both to spare - hell, go for it. But make sure you really like this boat. What you're proposing will end up being a long term relationship. Do not enter that without proper dedication and passion.

The best words of advice that I shall offer is this: Do your project in bite sized pieces. That is DO NOT take the entire boat apart - rendering it useless and worthless. Rather, work at a project with a somewhat limited scope, and complete it. Use and enjoy the boat along the way if possible. Take your time. Plan and think intelligently before ripping and tearing. Hatteras Yachts are well built - thoughtfully so in fact. As an example, just because the wiring is original 1968 does not necessarily mean that it needs totally replaced.

These are great old boats. I love my Hatteras (a 1966 41' Twin Cabin Motor Yacht). She still has plenty of her original components, systems and machinery. All still working quite well. Good luck. Enjoy your new (old) boat!
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

The best words of advice that I shall offer is this: Do your project in bite sized pieces. That is DO NOT take the entire boat apart - rendering it useless and worthless. Rather, work at a project with a somewhat limited scope, and complete it. Use and enjoy the boat along the way [quote]

Absolute best advice yet!
    Having done a number of re habs, this how I do it. I have only seen one gut out actually finished.
    That was a 47 Chris Craft that took 6 years and over 400K!

If i read your origional post correctely. Head to the islands with a half put togrther Boat and you will fly home. There is absolutely no help there or in between. There is no room for maybee it will make it.
    Here is a example a half tower with hard top and isenglass will cost you about 30000... Then throw in a new jen at 10000 a few soft goods and wham there is the 42 at 50000 look before you purchase.
    If the 45 is given to you free and you spend 50 to 70 on it you are in the hole... Considering year and power.
    These old boats are grate just be prepared to spend and spend and not get your money back. That is the bottom line you say it is love hobby or what ever. One major point i missed is the cost of normal up keep. Keep it in mind also.
    I looked for 2 years befor i purchased .

Tim