Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Water Water, O' Where Are You Coming From?

Every time it rains 3 to 4 gallons of water will be deposited in my bilge. I have checked everwhere and cannot find how the water is getting there. It seems to be starting on the Starboard side as the channels along the keel are sometimes wet. Water is clear and not salty so it has to be rain. I am sure some one has had this problem. Suggestions on where to look?
    PV23

Re: Water Water, O' Where Are You Coming From?

I'd check the window frames they can leak behind the interior wood so you won't see the water and straight to the e-room

Check the cockpit hatches. When it rains even a little mine so not drain fast enough and water drips in. Also the drains in the hatche channels clog becasue they are too small.
    Good luck.
    Skooch

A good way to source leaks is on a sunny day use a water hose to narrow down locations. For example, hose down the cockpit first and see if you accumulate any water. Wait till everything is dry and then do the same in other sections of the boat. Splitting her in to four quadrants is what most people usually do. Once you know the general area where the water is gaining entry you can then focus on whether it is a port, a deck fitting etc etc.

I can't remember whether it was Roger or Bruce but one of them tells a great story about a leak on a new boat where someone had patched a penetration in a deck with some fairing compound and painted over it. you could not see the hole with your naked eye but the water was wicking through a hairline paint crack and driving them nuts. they sectioned off the boat and sprayed down each small area and waited for water, finally finding the leak through the process of elimination.

It helps to have a second person, one on the hose and a second where the water accumulates watching for the water intrusion and then tracing it back to the source.
    Shawn
    58 MY