Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Personal security on board

I don't want to open a discussion on 2nd amendment issues but will say my SO is not comfortable having fire arms on board. What alternatives, i.e. Taser, mace, tactical batons, etc. does anyone have experience with? I'm also curious what alarm systems folks have on board. We hope to make some decisions during the next couple of months as it is our intent to spend a large amount of our time in the future on the hook. The master plan is summer and fall in the Chesapeake and to do some extensive Caribbean cruising next winter.

I thank all in advance.
    Peter

BTW we have come up with our vessel's new name: Moor to Life. Documentation is in process and we will advise all when the renaming ceremony will take place! It most likely will be at Loggerhead in Stuart in the next month or two. Love to meet any local HOF members when we have the date set.

Re: Personal security on board

Just fly a white flag so they can come aboard and rob you peacefully. Firearms in the right hands (yours) is the best defense ans did youthe realize you just broadcast the boats name and your unwillingness to defend yourself online? Don't worry no bad people would ever read web posts to find new victims.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Maybe the SO could get her black belt.

Or, you coud get a new SO.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

You guys are so nice!!! But the truth is a good friend in your right (or left) hand is the only way to go; one that likes 410 shells or even a 45.
    PV23

Peter,

We are almost neighbors. You will find a few other Hatts at Loggerhead Stuart. Just went by there today on my Angler. I live in Port St Lucie on Kitching Cove.

Bobk
    Chateau de Mer

Close enough for a tazer or a club means your already screwed. Be realistic or stay on land. Cruising open waters is no place for pacifists.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Beatley View Post
    You guys are so nice!!! But the truth is a good friend in your right (or left) hand is the only way to go; one that likes 410 shells or even a 45.
    Yep. It's a Taurus model called The "Judge". It's on my short list of 2013 purchases.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Quote Originally Posted by SeaEric View Post
    Yep. It's a Taurus model called The "Judge". It's on my short list of 2013 purchases.
    You got that right. My "Judge" is my jury and protector.
    Art

Peter, there is no '911' when cruising the islands, keep that in mind when choosing a defense. Some one-on-one firearm training with SO would be time well spent and remember, the intent is to never fire on anyone but much like a parachute, when you need it....

Firearms-- Better to have one and not need it than to need one and not have it. Firearm is no more dangerous than the person holding on to it. That being said, you need to know the laws for firearms in each and every port you may visit. A shotgun would be my choice. Less laws and restrictions in most places. Remington and Mossberg both make or made stainless versions. Agree very much on the training.
    Bob
    "CRAZY HORSE"