Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

1981 48 Hatteras MY Washer/Dryer Repair

I am the proud owner of a 1981 Hatteras MY and need some help with a repair. ALthough I have been a boater for many years, this is my first "Hat". I am told that the washer/dryer has a leak at the bottom of the washing machine. I am not sure where the proper access to the unit is or what is involved to take the entire unit out and replace with new unit. Can you please offer some advice! Any and all will be greatly appreciated.

Re: 1981 48 Hatteras MY Washer/Dryer Repair

If it is the Thin Twin, then it most likely is the water pump housing. The part is available, but worth fixing?? Just Google the model number, you'll find a ton of info on the Thin Twin

Re: 1981 48 Hatteras MY Washer/Dryer Repair

Hank, I had exactly the same problem this summer with my 1981 48MY three stateroom model, so maybe I can offer some help.

First, the machine can be removed from the front wall. To do it, you need to remove the steps to the aft cabins, the hand rail, and then the trim around the panel and finally the panel in front of the machine. In my case it was all a matter of screws and bolts.

I had a repair man come look at it thinking I had the same issue as you suspect. He checked and determined the pump was OK, and the water was running over the top of the tub during the spin and the issue was a pluggage in the discharge hose. I spent an hour with a small snake and eventually pulled out what looked like a small joker valve. I was never able to determine where it came from. Hatteras does not show it as part of the discharge system and the parts diagram of the machine does not show it. Nonethless, it had been torn and once it was removed, the unit went back to working A-OK.

I hope you are as lucky. There are no machines I could find that would fit into the space. Foot print is OK, but height is the issue and the cabinet above the machine will need modification if indeed you need a new W/D. The old one will go out the salon door if the trim is removed. The mechanics at Anchor Bay East (Baltimore) did a W/D R&R this summer on the same boat.

Good luck.... and keep us posted.

Bobk
    Chateau de Mer