Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Whirlppool Washing Machine - Piggy Back Model

Just heard from the mechanic. The Whirlpool Piggy back washer dryer washing machine works in all modes other than hot wash/cold rinse. So, warm/warm/warm/cold/cold cold is fine. If it is the selector switch, easy to access and repair. If it is the solenoid hung or broken, whole machine needs to be removed to access it. Since I suspect this is a fairly common fault, any diagnostic ideas are welcomed. Told him to find and swap out the switch hoping it is an easy fix.

Re: Whirlppool Washing Machine - Piggy Back Model

Since it will do "warm" I kinda doubt it is the hot water solenoid sticking closed. "Warm" requires some hot water.. unless of course you only get cold water when on the warm setting. That's easy to check.

Thanks. I'm thinking (hoping) it is the ATC switch.

Well I'd do the check. If you only get cold water in the drum when it is on the "warm" setting.. then the solenoid probably isn't working. And solenoid failure on a washer is pretty common due to lime, scale, and other contaminants.

(Assuming the hot water valve is "on" and you have pressure on the hot water line)

Thanks. I'll have him check.