Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Compressed Air System

My compressed air system is not charging when I run the engine. After shut down air blows out of the relief valve. My best guess is I should replace teh relief valve and see what happens. But before going with my guess I thought I would see if anyone here has a better idea.

Thanks in advance.

Bruce

Freestsyle
    1986 67 CPMY
    Tampa

Re: Compressed Air System

Yes replace it, remove the valve you should be able to get it and any truck parts supplier and most NAPAs.

JM
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

And if it turns out the engine mounted compressor is dead throw it overboard, install a blanking plate where it used to be, and install a cheap 110V compressor in it's place.
    Now you have "shop air" anytime.
    "The older I get, the faster I was......."

1979 60C "Ohana" hull# 331

If you have the same gear driven, water cooled, compressor on the back of yours, as I've got on mine, get ready for a shock on replacement cost. I gotta think somebody rebuilds those, or there is a rebuild kit.

Quote Originally Posted by luckydave215 View Post
    And if it turns out the engine mounted compressor is dead throw it overboard, install a blanking plate where it used to be, and install a cheap 110V compressor in it's place.
    Now you have "shop air" anytime.
    Unless he has Gyro-Gale stabs.?

JM
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Quote Originally Posted by dottieshusband View Post
    If you have the same gear driven, water cooled, compressor on the back of yours, as I've got on mine, get ready for a shock on replacement cost. I gotta think somebody rebuilds those, or there is a rebuild kit.
    They are, OEM hatteras, a Bendix. Midland makes the same models. You can see a chart at http://www.bepco.biz/Catalogs/AirBrakeCat/24.pdf to figure the size and with the engine model you will be able to get a reman at most truck parts suppliers.

JM
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Thanks for the source! I thought the compressor was originally to run the air brake system on trucks and busses.. The air horn on a Hatteras seemed a bit of an over kill for that size compressor. I had seen a replacement on Diesel Pro or the like for 3K! Hopefully mine will keep on truckin for a long time.