Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Shaft Log

Shaft Log

Hi All, I am reconditioning the stuffing boxes on my 1982 46C with 2 1/2 inch propeller shafts. The old shaft log hoses where not correct, (thin walled hydraulic hose 8 inches long) I have purchased the correct heavy walled hose which is sold in 12" lengths. Question; what length should the shaft log hose be?

Best regards, and Happy New Year, P

Re: Shaft Log

We ususally but shaft log hose in smaller sections like 6-8" precut square and ready to install. There is a misconception that many have on what type to use. I always purchase hose from the supplier that is marked for that use to be sure. many other hoses might fit but are not the correct type for the long term submersion and vibration.

make sure you bought shaft log not exhaust hose.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I don't think there is an exact length. You obviously don't want the hose so long that the gland is too close to the coupling to be re-packed and you don't want it so short that it can't be double or triple clamped. Check for shaft wear where it's been running. You may want to adjust the length a little to make the packing run on a new section if you have some obvious wear that's causing leaks.

If you do have some shaft wear or pitting a good prop shop can refinish the shafts and make them like new.

The first time you see your pulled shafts you will panic. Lots of rust, scrapes, shiny lines, especially where the rubber bearings in the struts are. Surprisingly, most don't seem to matter much.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

Question Re: Shaft Log

Why would you reinstall old style glands and heavy hose? Dripless fittings have a much lighter gauge hose to allow the bearing material to align properly with the shaft.
    Regards
    Dan

The length on the 46C hp is 6 inches. I assume you bought the Buck Algonquin 6 ply hose.... Great stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mapes View Post
    Why would you reinstall old style glands and heavy hose? Dripless fittings have a much lighter gauge hose to allow the bearing material to align properly with the shaft.
    Because the old style will not sink a boat if it breaks a cooling line.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Along the same lines I do have a question. My shaft logs were repacked several years ago when the boat was on the hard. It is apparently time to do this again as the shafts tend to leak more often and tightening the couplings slow this till the next time out and I have to do this again. My question is. Is it possible to repack while the boat is in the water. If so, is there any particular issues I need to be prepared to take?

I prefer to repack in the water. Water will come in but it won't be a gusher.

Thank you for the speedy response. I guess the next step will be to loose at least 30 pounds so my big a... can fit down in there to get to them.

W