Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Replacing House Battery Bank

I need to replace the house battery bank on BUFFALO GAL. I'm leaning toward Deka's because I've had good luck with the 8V195's I have on the starting bank, and I have a hard time justifying the price of the Rolls batteries. In checking the forum history, however, I see where Deka had some problems with early battery failure a couple of years ago. Does anyone know if that problem has been corrected?

On a related note, what about 8V195 vs. 819 for the house bank? I understand that the deep cycle 819 would be better in general for the house bank, but the CCA and MCA of the 819 is half that of the 8V195. Does that mean it would spin the starter slower? The 8V92's in BUFFALO GAL fire right off if they get a fast crank from the starter, but can be harder to start if the crank is slower, particularly when it gets down below 45 degrees. The inverter has a dedicated pair of 12v gel cells, so it doesnt draw anyhting from the house bank.

Insights are much appreciated. Happy New Year to everyone.
    Bill Root, USCG 100 Ton Master, Near Coastal
    MV BUFFALO GAL
    1988 54' MY

Re: Replacing House Battery Bank

Hi Bill:

I have also had good luck with the DEKA's. Sky knows a lot about the Rolls batteries and I think he swears by them. I am sure he will respond here. My DEKA's are 6 plus years old and still going strong. I charge them with a new LaMarche charger identical to the original. Happy New Year!

DC

I have experience with all three flavors. The 819's I had on both banks when I got the boat. They turn the engines over just fine in all conditions. My charger turned out to be defective and was toasting them. First, I got the charger fixed. Then I put 8v195s on the starboard side 2 1/2 years ago for the same reasons Bill did. They have been a great starting battery. That's all they do other than power the system monitor.

However, when it came to changing the house bank a few months later, for me it was a decision purely between the Rolls and the 819s. That bank powers all kinds of stuff, not just 32 volt (which most importantly includes all the bilge and sump pumps) but two 32-12 converters. We spend a lot of time on the hook too. So I ponied up and bought the Rolls. You have two choices, if you are using OEM sized boxes the full size 8HHG 25P with 275AH and the shorter 8HHG21-P that are the length of the 8v195 but taller and much heavier and has 230AH. I went with the big ones.

I have a Sentry charger now properly working, and it seems to charge each bank according to its needs perfectly and I have not been losing water.

I think when the 195's expire on the other side I will go with one of the two Rolls, I would like to do a little more with that bank. Plus I feel like the 195s are kind of a "Gomer" solution. Hatteras never put them in as an OEM option, probably for a reason. Personally I would never consider the 195 for a house bank, as pleased as I have been with their performance as a starting bank. Overall, I just like having the best solution in these mission critical applications. It's why I didn't buy a Bayliner in the first place ;o)
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

Thank you, Dave and George. It sounds like I need to go with the 819's if I decide on the Dekas.
    I'm glad to hear, Dave, that the 819's start your port engine fine. I was worried about that.

I understand the Rolls batteries are the best, and we do like to spend time on the hook too. But when we do we run almost everything except the toilets off the inverter that has it's own bank of two 12v gel cells. I'm willing to spend money when I need to, and I do like to do things right, but in our situation it seems like the Rolls at triple the price of the Dekas would be overkill. Besides, I've committed to new carpeting and soft goods in the salon this year to keep the admiral happy.
    MV BUFFALO GAL
    1988 54' MY

The price I paid for the Roll was at most 50% more than I was able to get 819's for. I thought it was a pretty good total cost of ownership gamble. I paid 507 two years ago, what are you being quoted now?

I have a separate inverter bank too, but it doesn't take anything off the DC loads.
    George
    2007-2014

Happy New Year, George:

I'm waiting for a quote from the Rolls dealer in Jacksonville. I should have that tomorrow. The 819's are $300 each, 8V195's are $200 each.

Just curious, when you are on the hook what are you running off your house bank?
    MV BUFFALO GAL
    1988 54' MY

Bill,
    I called several Rolls dealers and Rae Battery was the cheapest by far at the time. He is a super guy and will ship them with all new connecting cables and bolts at no extra charge. You will be surprised at the difference in pricing between dealers.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Root View Post
    Happy New Year, George:

I'm waiting for a quote from the Rolls dealer in Jacksonville. I should have that tomorrow. The 819's are $300 each, 8V195's are $200 each.

Just curious, when you are on the hook what are you running off your house bank?
    Happy New Year back atcha, and all the great HOF community, which has made an enormous contribution to the enjoyment, enhancement and maintenance of our boat for the past 5 1/2 years. We couldn't have done it with you all!

When we are on the hook there is :
    • DC Water Pump
    • Interior lights
    • bilge and sump pumps
    • electronics
    • sattelite TV system
    • anchor light
    • three toilets
    • stereo on flying bridge
    • CO detectors
    • ER blowers (if needing to ventilate out hot air)
    • Misc occasional loads (spot light, deck lights, windlass to let out more chain if needed, etc etc)

Those are very good prices you have so far on the batteries.

Agree with SKY that the guy at Rae is really nice and definitely worth giving a shot at the sale, I just threw my business to DC Battery in Miami because they are also really nice guys who helped me out a couple times when I was down there, and slightly cheaper including freight. They would be worth giving a call as they distribute a wide variety of brands throughout Florida and the Caribbean.
    George
    2007-2014

Thanks, Sky and George. I'll give Rae battery abnd DC battery a call tomorrow.

George: You definitely have more on DC than I do. Will the Rolls batteries fit in the stock Hatteras battery boxes?
    MV BUFFALO GAL
    1988 54' MY

I finally decided on the Rolls batteries for the house bank. It was not an easy decision, but the warranty was the deciding factor. According to several of the dealers I spoke with the battery warranty business has changed substantially since Interstate recently lost a major class action suit.

Best price on the Deka 819's was $300. I would have to drive 200 miles round trip to pick them up. Warranty was 6 mos. free replacement plus 2 years prorated from all the Deka dealers I contacted. Best price on the Rolls was $522 from DC Battery in Miami. Warranty is 2 years free replacement plus 5 years pro-rated, calculated on the list price of $988. I have to pay $95 to have them shipped to my marina. The Rolls battery weighs 145lb. vs the Deka which weighs 112, which is supposedly in extra plate thickness.

At the end of the day I decided to that the job of getting the old batteries out and putting the new ones in is going to be such a three act play that the security of the Rolls with so much better warranty was worth the extra cost. I hope I am right.
    MV BUFFALO GAL
    1988 54' MY