Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Engine water hose What type?

Scott, a typo?

I agree about the blue hose on the FW side. But I've also seen it used on the saltwater side, inc on my boat when Slane's installed my engines, and it's holding up fine. I think it IS made for that.

It really is alfagoma. made in Italy and great to work with. I use it on Seawater all the time. Its nicer than the shields and holds up.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Where do you buy it? I can look it up etc but since you are in the business it would be useful to know where you get it.

Quote Originally Posted by dottieshusband View Post
    Ditto Angela and GJH, Double D provided the silicone hoses. I gotta think they know what's best.

Good Luck with that Assumption

Me personally would takes Dave's suggestion over someone behind a counter any day but that's just me.
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

while we are on the topic of hoses, what do ya'll think is the best hose to use for a/c water? i need 1 1/4 from seacock to strainer, to pump, and 1 inch from pump to manifold. i am making a pvc manifold like spcoolin suggested, and will be changing all hoses while i'm in there

The black hoses have less growth in my experience. I usually use the wire reinforced Alfagoma on the intake and the black water hose on the output of the pump.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

On my boat, all the long salt water runs are black exhaust hose, ditto including for the AC. You need the rigidity and it does seem that it breed less growth, compared to what we saw coming out of the Ac units themselves when acid cleaning. No empirical evidence other than observing when I switched it out for the right size from a POs mis-install.I just replaced about 3 ft section on the generator outlet with some of the Vetus gray hose, sounds like what Scott is talking about. It went around a sharp bend much better than the old hose which had developed a kink.

On the main engines, silicone is used for all the short connections, including some seawater in and out of the intercoolers; the two old school Detroit mechanics I use both were very particular about using silicone there, and installing new ones at about the 5 year mark at the nearest scheduled intercooler cleaning. When the PO had the engines "done", using a legendary guy (since deceased) from Central in Landover MD. So make it three. Hardly "some guys behind the counter".
    Last edited by GJH; 12-26-2012 at 11:19 AM.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

Trident, makes a good product. Stay away from Sheilds.

JM
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY