Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Engine water hose What type?

I have a water leak where the hose connects the copper tube running from the thermostat to the heat exchanger. The engine is a 671ti 390 hp Covington. The copper tube measures 2.25 inches OD and the hose slips over the tube. Hope it is just a matter of replacing the hose.
    Advice on the correct type and size hose will be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Regards,
    Vincent Castigliola
    Lilly Marie - 43 DC 1983
    Pascagoula, Mississippi

Rather than history as a peaceful continuum interrupted by war, “For the first time in the nation's history men in authority are talking about an "emergency" without a foreseeable end" _ C. Wright Mills 1956

Re: Engine water hose What type?

Go blue silicone !

I read somewhere that silicone hose is not the best for water. Check the tube closely. I had a small leak in the tube that runs from the heat exchanger to the circulating pump. When it finally rusted through it lost water and cracked the head. This tube was steel, though. Gates makes radiator hose that comes in 3' lengths that's reasonably priced.

We had holiday plans for the boat and all that was available was Gates hose. 2.25" hose did the job. The leak is gone. I will watch for a while.

As I understand it, silicone is better for high temp, since this is for fw cooling, silicon is probably overkill.

Thanks for the advice.

Feliz Navidad, you all.
    Regards,
    Vincent Castigliola
    Lilly Marie - 43 DC 1983
    Pascagoula, Mississippi

Rather than history as a peaceful continuum interrupted by war, “For the first time in the nation's history men in authority are talking about an "emergency" without a foreseeable end" _ C. Wright Mills 1956

Quote Originally Posted by dsharp View Post
    I read somewhere that silicone hose is not the best for water.
    That is absolutely wrong wherever you read it. Silicone is the best thing for all the short water connectors on the engine, salt and fresh. Seals better, stays flexible for far longer and especially stands up to heat.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

When I replaced mine, I went to Detroit Diesel and asked what was supposed to go on there. After obtaining my engine serial number from me, they gave me a quantity of blue silicone hose for that very purpose that was sufficient to do every one of those hoses. They've performed flawlessly for several years now.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Quote Originally Posted by GJH View Post
    That is absolutely wrong wherever you read it. Silicone is the best thing for all the short water connectors on the engine, salt and fresh. Seals better, stays flexible for far longer and especially stands up to heat.
    Not a chemist but the blue silicone hose with the red liner inside does seem to react with the salt water after a while. I only use the black hose on the salt water side.

I used the gay italian hose on most of my replacements and it worked great. Double wire and quite durable. Alfagoma was the brand.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

"Gay Italian hose" ?
    But This a straight connection .

Merry Christmas
    Regards,
    Vincent Castigliola
    Lilly Marie - 43 DC 1983
    Pascagoula, Mississippi

Ditto Angela and GJH, Double D provided the silicone hoses. I gotta think they know what's best.