Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Crossing the Columbia River bar. True white knuckle ride

This video shows commercial fishing boats re-entering over the bar at the mouth of the
    Columbia River between Western Washington and Oregon. It is well known as one of the
    world’s most dangerous and violent river re-entry points.

Been over the bar numerous time…..always go at slack tide, and this is exactly why. Note it was a sunny clear day.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/ByGSMmenPDM?rel=0

Re: Crossing the Columbia River bar. True white knuckle ride

Just Nuts!!
    Mike,

"SeaWhisperer"
    1969 Hatteras 53' MY
    Morehead City, NC.

Crazy Crazy looks like comercial boats so they must do it quite offen Tim

There is a really well put together and fairly large museum about all this and more in Astoria right at the mouth that is worth a special trip if you are out that way, we hit it this summer while visiting our son in Portland.

http://crmm.org/
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

if you make a pass like that most of your guests will never return, in some cases that may be good.

JM
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Pretty crazy stuff, but it's not the Columbia bar. The video identifies it as the Grey River bar at full flood stage in Greytown, NZ. It doesn't take away from the challenge though.
    Greg Harrington
    43 DCFB 1977 w/Cummins 903 M1 (340HP)
    Hull #454

I've crossed all of the bars from San Francisco north to the Straits of Juan de Fuca. You NEVER cross when they are breaking like this. You only cross at slack high water and you call the Coast Guard for a bar check before you enter or exit or they will check with you. Only San Francisco doesn't check in. I entered Humboldt Bay over the Humboldt Bar when the swells were 16 feet but, not breaking. I had cotton mouth the whole time! When I called to check in, the young Coast Guard guy told me just stay on the backs of the swells. I thought - right - there is absolutely no way to stay on the back of the swells unless your boat can do 25 knots uphill... When we made it in and tied up to the dock, the adult beverages flowed like water. Then there are those times when you cross with the water dead flat.

Keith
    Lady J

They are New Zealand boats crossing bar.

West Coast, South Island. The coasters are a tough breed. There has been the odd boat capsized on that bar.

Personally I think they are mad.

I also crossed the Humboldt Bar at 3 am in thick fog, CG could not give me a read on the entrance as it was fogged in and the camera could not see the conditions, he indicated it was 18 ft at 6pm and expected to ease overnight, we went at dead idle, enough for steerage and plenty of pucker, if we had seen any breaking stuff we would have stayed out, was a thrill but not something you would look forward to, a commercial fish boat was on the way out and he was on the wrong side of the channel, was glad I had the triple Kahllenbergs on , sure woke him up..

10. Re: Crossing the Columbia River bar. True white knuckle ride

Those folks are NUTS... But I did get a kick of the guy who kept coming outside to take pictures....
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com