Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: Removing stanchion bases on 73 53mt

Hi All,

Same findings as Scooch, appx 1/2 in glass over the aluminum plate. See photo attached above.

What we ran into was once the machine screw snapped (which would be pretty much the same as drilling off the head) the shaft was still "welded" in there. We attempted to use penetrating release agents followed by drilling a hole thru the center of the stainless shaft and inserting an industrial strength hardened steel extractor. It set properly and had a good grip, pressure was applied, it hunkered down and snapped. Now what, try and drill thru hardened steel, nothing worked, no titanium, cobalt, nothing. So we ended up using a very small cobalt drill to drill holes into the shaft around the extractor. After a lot of hammering with various tools and a lot of bad words we managed to get the extractor out and finally the shaft. In the end we ruined the threads in the aluminum plate and will have to make a repair.
    Last edited by lumina; 12-17-2012 at 04:51 PM.
    Gene
    Former Owner 1974 Hatteras Yachtfish
    Glittering Image

Hull # 50
    Total Production 1972-1975 Sixty Four

"After a lot of hammering with various tools and a lot of bad words "

Ah yes, two of the most effective tools for serious work - hammers and swear words.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Quote Originally Posted by lumina View Post
    Hi All,

Same findings as Scooch, appx 1/2 in glass over the aluminum plate. See photo attached above.

What we ran into was once the machine screw snapped (which would be pretty much the same as drilling off the head) the shaft was still "welded" in there. We attempted to use penetrating release agents followed by drilling a hole thru the center of the stainless shaft and inserting an industrial strength hardened steel extractor. It set properly and had a good grip, pressure was applied, it hunkered down and snapped. Now what, try and drill thru hardened steel, nothing worked, no titanium, cobalt, nothing. So we ended up using a very small cobalt drill to drill holes into the shaft around the extractor. After a lot of hammering with various tools and a lot of bad words we managed to get the extractor out and finally the shaft. In the end we ruined the threads in the aluminum plate and will have to make a repair.
    Once the head snaps off or you have to drill off the head, then you know you are in deep trouble. So I was very very careful to preserve as much of the stub as possible. remove the stantion , then carefully remove the glass around the bolt to he aluminium. I removed enough so that I could get a big vice grip on the bolt. Then I filled the hole with penetrating oil overnight then gripped it and slowly turned out the bolts. I got all mine out that way without breaking any off at the Alum. A large portion due to luck.
    BTW I was removing the stantions cause they had cracks at the holes for the life lines. Have not heard anyone else with that malady.
    Skooch

Hi All,

Mike, as I get older I get more and more like my dad, a 21 year Navy (Seabee) veteran and a tough cantankerous Main Yankee. Everything was "close enough for government work" and no project was complete without a tool flying and associated colorful words like MF, CS, SOB, GD, piece of s55t. (Ill leave it to your imagination).

I do believe however, after applying the strategy, that it really helps !!!!
    Gene
    Former Owner 1974 Hatteras Yachtfish
    Glittering Image

Hull # 50
    Total Production 1972-1975 Sixty Four

Thanks to everyone for the info looks like there is no fool proof way to remove them.