Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Removing stanchion bases on 73 53mt

Having developed a soft spot on the port side deck which I will repair. The culprit appears to be the base of the rail stanchion. In what has to be one of the worst designs these fittings are made to leak. They appear to be attached by bolt thru a threaded backer plate?? Is that the case , and if so how do you remove the bolt after all these years??

Help,

Re: Removing stanchion bases on 73 53mt

Ours came out fairly easily. The method that worked best was to apply liberal amounts of penetrating oil at each screw and allowing it to to set overnight. We then used large screwdrivers that fit the screwheads with the handles driven up inside 3/4 drive sockets that fit around the handle and turned them with a 3/4" rachet (turned manually, very slowly with no power assist) Use a lot of downward pressure while turning to avoid slipping, (and did I say turn very slowly).

Ron, when you fix the problem and reinstall the stantion base, you might consider using some butyl tape to seal the screw rather than other sealants like 4200, 5200, etc. You can get butyl in white. Ed found an interesting read here http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-m...utyl-tape.html on butyl vs. caulk for sealing things that are screwed down to the deck. I think that's how I'll reseal the 200 screws holding down the flybridge helm when I get up there to start resealing that.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Also - Turn the screws first in the direction to TIGHTEN them (clockwise). It is much easier to break a seized fitting loose in the tightening direction first. It only needs the slightest fraction of a turn to do so. Much less chance of breaking the fitting as well by doing this. Then, as noted, unscrew slowly and, if necessary back them out a tiny bit, then screw in, then back out slightly more, screw in, etc, etc, etc.

I have never found penetrating fluid to be of any help breaking a fitting loose initially though it is a big help in the unscrewing afterward.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

If you break off one of the screw or have to drill it out I found its not that drastic to chisle around the screw enough to get a good vice grip on it and get them out. Then of course you need to patch the mess but its not that bad. Gives a change to fix any damage to the lament from the leak or stain from the stainless.
    I used a large brace and bit with the exact screw head match to slowly work the screws out of four stantions. I broke or ruined three screws, not too bad.

Skooch

I notice several of you have mentioned screws. I have two stanchion bases that have Philip head bolts. Since they are the only Philips heads I assume they have been replaced and came out fairly easy. I am making the assumption that all the others are also bolts??

For those who have done this find bolts or screws???

ron from hatteras the stantions have machine bolts screwed into aluminum plates that are put in place during lamination. most of mine use a flat head screwdriver, a couple have phillips which i think have been replaced at an earlier time.

Hi All,

We're similar to Bill,,,,flat head stainless bolts with an occasional Phillips (which I'd actually prefer). We are maybe 30% complete on our stanchion rebeding. There were some tough ones that took a lot of coaxing, but knock on wood none have snapped so far. We were very frustrated that we could not find a bit or screw driver that fully and snugly fit the grove in the bolt so we made a custom flat head bit from a drill, worked extremely well.

IMG_1681.jpg

The dissimilar metals (stainless into aluminum) over time creates a wicked bond, almost a weld. Case in point I recently had the guys attempt to remove the cockpit door which is held on by a HUGE stainless hinge with 4 flat head bolts on each side. The first one was a struggle, second and third were a @$@$ and the fourth snapped. We used every removal approach and penetrating oil and both, wouldn't move a millimeter.

Removing the snapped stainless bolt from the aluminum plate was like removing the sword from the stone. Took 2 people over 5 hours to get it out....I'll bet I've got $500+ into this door removal to date. Now it needs to be cleaned out, realigned, filled etc etc.....

IMG_1680.jpgIMG_1675.jpg
    Last edited by lumina; 12-16-2012 at 07:33 PM.
    Gene
    Former Owner 1974 Hatteras Yachtfish
    Glittering Image

Hull # 50
    Total Production 1972-1975 Sixty Four

"For those who have done this find bolts or screws???"

They are - at least on our 53 - machine (thread) screws into metal backing plates. I don't know how a bolt could be used since there would be no way to manipulate a nut from the underside but who knows what may have been done at initial construction?
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    ron from hatteras the stantions have machine bolts screwed into aluminum plates that are put in place during lamination. most of mine use a flat head screwdriver, a couple have phillips which i think have been replaced at an earlier time.
    Thanks Bill, wasn't sure what the plate was made out of which explains the metals and why they are so tough to get out.