Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Cool New refrigerator in 65 MY.......done!

About a year ago I started asking how to get a new refrigerator in my 1988 65' MY and ended up with more folks asking the same question than the answers I was looking for. I had come to the conclusion that when building the boat Hatteras must have started with the refrigerator and constructed the boat around it literally! The two openings into the galley are 24" wide and I can tell you from experience that you will not find a new, full sized, refrigerator/freezer that will fit through that opening and on top of that there is absolutely no way you are getting the existing unit out without cutting your wall out between the galley and salon.

Last week I found the answer, or at least a solution that worked for me. I bought a "Electrolux E132AR65j S Built-in All Refrigerator" H72 X W32 X D24 1/4. This meant that I only needed to find another 1/4" to get the thing into my galley from the salon. I was pretty sure that I could easily remove the trim piece around the door opening and this is exactly what I did. Note, don't waste your time trying to remove this piece in such a way as you can use it again. It is attached with trim nails from top to bottom on all three sides. I finally took a grinder with a metal cutting blade and cut the entire piece down the middle until I could gently pry in off with a chisel. I only had to remove one side as this now gave me a 24 1/2" opening!

Getting the old refrigerator out was also an exercise in futility.... don't waste your time with anything other than getting a demolition blade for your sawsall and cutting the entire refrigerator in half (top to bottom). I know this sounds like a big ugly mess, but it was not that bad. It took about 15 minutes to cut both sides top to bottom and then have a helper lean the refrigerator over about 45 degrees to one side so that I could cut through the bottom on one side and then lean it the other way to do the same thing. Another interesting note is that while the old unit weighed about 300pds, the new one with the doors removed probably weighed about 75 thanks to modern technology.

Once the old unit was out, the new one went in without a hitch and with 1/4" so spare!

The catch: The refrigerator that I installed is just that.... a refrigerator, it has no freezer. I think that this is why it actually fits and was so light. The reason this is not a problem for me and I actually see it as a good thing is that last year I bought a small portable freezer online and have been keeping it in the generator room. it was something like $200 online. When we cruise we usually have my wife and myself along with our four small children and another family and a crew of two. So, typically we have a total of six adults and 6 kids onboard. We are always hard pressed for refrigerator space and really only use the freezer for proteins and ice cream. I may buy one other portable freezer for a little more space but all in all this was a great solution for me. We now have a fantastically large (19 cubic feet) refrigerator and didn't have to cut the boat in half to get it there.

If you think you need more freezer space than I do, I did hear of another option. I spoke with hat owner who removed all of the storage below his helm seat and built in a large freezer underneath. When not in use, everything looks as it originally did. Need something out of the garage sized freezer? Just lift up the helm seat and have at it. This is also a convenient location from the galley.

I hope this helps some of you out in your plight for a refrigerator upgrade.

Re: New refrigerator in 65 MY.......done!

Did you check out the sticky re fridge replacement - http://www.samsmarine.com/forums/sho...lled-in-53MY!? We replaced the old fridge/freezer with a new fridge/freezer with out TOO much trouble. Same dimension issue you had though no need for sawzalling to remove the old one though a bit of trim removal was necessary to get it out/the new one in. This Fridge - http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajm...HSC39EESS.html - was what we used.

I would have expected that a 65 would have had a lot more room to work with than a 53 and the fridge dimensions would not have been so critical. Apparently not...
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Cool Re: New refrigerator in 65 MY.......done!

That one would not have worked for me.... the width of my refrigerator cabinet space is 34" exactly, so it would have been 1 5/8" too wide for the space. This way, I actually have ended up with a great deal more storage that I can use.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    Did you check out the sticky re fridge replacement - http://www.samsmarine.com/forums/sho...lled-in-53MY!? We replaced the old fridge/freezer with a new fridge/freezer with out TOO much trouble. Same dimension issue you had though no need for sawzalling to remove the old one though a bit of trim removal was necessary to get it out/the new one in. This Fridge - http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajm...HSC39EESS.html - was what we used.

I would have expected that a 65 would have had a lot more room to work with than a 53 and the fridge dimensions would not have been so critical. Apparently not...

Re: New refrigerator in 65 MY.......done!

This is interesting reading, as my 1977 43DC still has the original fridge. And while it is working fine at the moment, it is beginning to make some strange sounds. I fear the end is near and I cringe at the idea of trying to get it out and then find a new one I can get in....GLG

Cool Re: New refrigerator in 65 MY.......done!

Getting it out will be the easy part.... a saws-all does wonders to a refrigerator. I would suggest that you look for a replacement sooner rather than later and maybe even swap it before the old one goes at a time that is convenient for you.