Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Looking for a nice 58 yachtfish

I'm looking for a nice 58 yachtfish and was wondering if any of you guys have knowledge of a nice one. I see the ones on yachtworld, and there is one that looks good in Fort Lauderdale, named Mad Hatter. Anyone know it?

Re: Looking for a nice 58 yachtfish

check with member "olddog" i'm not sure if he still has her, but he had a nice 1972 58yf for sale.

jonhjen50, the "luckydog" is still for sale. she is not listed, but you can contact greg (olddog) on the forum.

Thanks Bill. Will do. I see you have one as well. How long have you had it and do you still love it? I think the layout on these models is undeatable, also the old detroits are relatively inexpensive to repair, making the ownership cost easier to swallow. Are there problem areas I should watch out for when looking at purchasing one? Thanks for your thoughts.

Hi Johnjen50

You need to check out my baby PIZZAZ. 1979 model/ delivered 1980. Unquestionably the nicest 58 Yachtfish out there. Now at 1080 Original hours since new. Extensive refit 2010/2011, yet kept to factory original inside and out. I'm really quite proud of her. And of course the price is flexible for the right buyer. Do you have a boat to trade-in?

Pizzazsdaddy

Just a couple of other notes.
    My broker (Frank Gordon 954-525-8476) informs me that he is also aware of a 1979 58 Yachtfish in Maryland that's supposed to be pretty decent and priced right. I've also seen several comments on this blog from members about an older style 1972 model in Alabama that reportedly has had excellent mechanical care all it's life.
    The best advice is to look at all of them. Most of these 58s are pretty rough. As someone who's "been there, done that", bring along your calculator. Restoration costs, even for a nice one, can easily triple your purchase price these days.

Thanks. Your boat is beautiful, but I don't think I'm ready to spend that kind of money for it. I saw the haul out pix you posted and it looks in very good shape. Do you have an oil sample on the engines? That may go some ways to justify the asking price.

johnjen, i have had her almost 7 years, i think i love her more now then when i first got her(she was rough) mine was repowered with 12.5 liter john deeres before i bought her. they have been great engines so far.
    where are you located? "the luckydog" is in orange beach alabama. when we were docked next to each other, we would refer to the two boats as before(my boat) and after (luckydog) she is a really nice boat with a lot of recent upgrades and a fairly new awlgrip paint job.

I boat in Rhode Island, and keep my current boat which is a 40ft Silverton Convertible on the Sakonet River. Its a great place to boat, with Newport, Cape and the Islands, Block Island and Montauk very close. Ive covered the coast from Portland Me. to Bridgeport Ct, including the hook at PTown Ma. Is your Hat stabilized? I'ver heard it makes a huge difference.

johnjen, no my boat isn't stabilized. they do rock in a side sea, but that doesn't bother me too much, my previous boat was a 46sf, and we did some bluewater fishing, so i got use to rocking.
    i cant compare my boat to others with the original 8v71s, my engines and gears are much lighter than the original ones. i would expect mine to rock more than others, but i have not been out on a 58yf with original equipment to compare.