Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

A Day in the Life of a Delivery Captain: Dead Ship, Sinking Tender, Repelling Pirates

I saw this story in The Triton today and thought many of you might find it as interesting as I did.

http://tritonpubs.com/edirectory/art...g-tenders.html

I really would have like to have seen a photo of the tender towing this very large yacht.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Re: A Day in the Life of a Delivery Captain: Dead Ship, Sinking Tender, Repelling Pir

Interesting story indeed...

On deliveries you d better be ready for anything! I don't have time to do many but the last one i did earlier this year started with loosing the engine controls in the 90 deg turn of a narrow marina channel. Ended up adrift in OWW, dropping anchor narrowly missing a marker, then using zip ties to hold the trannies in gear as the pneumatic controls had failed. Then we lost a generator a couple of hours later, air conditioning thanks to a leaky keel cooler, and to top it off had loose wire on a starter...

All that in a freshly surveyed 70 footer whose owner had just paid the local diesel guru a $20k+ repair bill!
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Re: A Day in the Life of a Delivery Captain: Dead Ship, Sinking Tender, Repelling Pir

Certainly an interesting read.

I do believe that long journey's (maritime or otherwise) are definitely for those that can remain calm and pragmatic with whatever they face and apply solid, logical problem solving thinking and actions to any issues that present themselves.

I found the first section of the article if anybody is interested.

http://tritonpubs.com/edirectory/art...-delivery.html
    Cheers,

Rick H,
    Old Shipwright.
    Melbourne, Australia.

One day, your life is going to flash before your eyes....
    ..Make sure it's worth watching!!!

Thanks, Rick! I was wondering why "pirates" was in the headline with nothing more than a mere mention at the end with no explanation.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    Thanks, Rick! I was wondering why "pirates" was in the headline with nothing more than a mere mention at the end with no explanation.
    My Pleasure. I was the same. Thought others would be too.
    Cheers,

Rick H,
    Old Shipwright.
    Melbourne, Australia.

One day, your life is going to flash before your eyes....
    ..Make sure it's worth watching!!!

6. Re: A Day in the Life of a Delivery Captain: Dead Ship, Sinking Tender, Repelling Pir

Biggest I've delivered is only 60' but it was a Hatteras that I ended up being the Captain of for just under a year.... Most are 1-3 day trips, usually in the 30'-45' range for local brokers... I did have a 30' Rampart I started bringing down from Cape Cod to Jacksonville in Sept but we lost a transmission while at Atlantic Highlands Marina.... Owner had spent some major $$$$ having everything routined before I left.....
    "Strangest" one was when I went down to Daytona Beach to pick up a boat to bring back with the owner onboard..... I got the rental, drove down only to find the police and rescue at his boat... He had a major heart attack and was DOA....
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com