Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Re: Looking For a 46 - 50 Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by saltshaker View Post
    ER does look tight but hard to say from the one shot. Should have more room than it did with the 6V92.
    Not a lot of room forward of the engines, but there is enough inboard. I assume that there should be more room outboard as well.

I don't know what to think about the price. There's one higher and one lower, both 1995s.

I assume this price is a reflection of the engines.

Blaine

Saltshaker,

Do you have any idea where that first (1992) 54 C with Cats is now? A friend of mine was the second owner and I have many. many miles under my butt on that boat. When the boat was sold to the third owner Cat factory tech surveyed the engines and declared them to be perfect. The extended warranty had just expired. About 20 hours later one of the engines dropped a valve and did serious damage the engine. Since Cat had said that they were fine, they paid for the repair. I heard that the exhaust was not properly designed on that first Cat installation in a 54 C. From day one when my buddy and I picked up the boat in Florida we noticed that the exhaust temperature alarm would activate at engine speeds just above idle. When this was reported to Cat they said not to worry. I think that they flew a tech in to check on the problem and he said it was normal becasue the engine was not turning fast enough to throw water where the alarm sensor was located. Seems, though, that the engine did indeed have a hot spot causing the valve to let go.
    Last edited by seasalt; 04-16-2013 at 02:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by seasalt View Post
    Saltshaker,

Do you have any idea where that first (1992) 54 C with Cats is now? A friend of mine was the second owner and I have many. many miles under my butt on that boat. When the boat was sold to the third owner Cat factory tech surveyed the engines and declared them to be perfect. The extended warranty had just expired. About 20 hours later one of the engines dropped a valve and did serious damage the engine. Since Cat had said that they were fine, they paid for the repair. I heard that the exhaust was not properly designed on that first Cat installation in a 54 C. From day one when my buddy and I picked up the boat in Florida we noticed that the exhaust temperature alarm would activate at engine speeds just above idle. When this was reported to Cat they said not to worry. I think that they flew a tech in to check on the problem and he said it was normal becasue the engine was not turning fast enough to throw water where the alarm sensor was located. Seems, though, that the engine did indeed have a hot spot causing the valve to let go.
    Was that when Pantropic majored the starboard engine? I looked at her back in 12/10 when she was at Blowing Rocks in Jupiter, FL. There was a 95 54C w/Cats docked right next to her. The exhaust and ER set up was different. The '92 had less room between the engines and smaller exhaust ports. I also heard she had a tendency to crack heads. This boat was built with 12V92's and the owner made a deal with Hatteras to have the 3412's installed so it wasn't factory designed for the Cats. The engines were installed by a Cat dealer in Illinois. Sonny Middleton put the deal together when the boat was ordered new. She was the beta tester for Hatteras. Hatteras put the first pair in at the factory in a '94 54C. Interesting enough, I looked at that boat a couple days after being on the '92. The '92 had seen better days when I looked at her. She was neglected and in serious need of attention. She sold not too long after I looked at her. Not sure where she went but you could do a USGC doc search and see where she is now. Here's the listing from when she sold. If she looked like the pics in the listing, I would have pursued her.
    http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...&access=Public
    Jack Sardina

Saltshaker,

I don't know if that is the boat I am familiar with. I don't recognize the teak cockpit or the bridge chairs. The galley counter tops do not look right either but lots of remodeling could have changed things, Do you know a name to trace in the USCG data base? It was "El Ultimo" when I knew it.

I thought these had hatches that came up, but could be wrong, it has been years since I was on one. This looks like a really nice boat in the photos. It ought to be fast and relatively cheap to run with the M11s- I couldn't find top speed etc but given that it has a lot more power and that these engines weigh less, she ought to be good for a 25 kt cruise at least.

Last name was Magellan. I think the original name was Terrna G. The interior was re-stained to look more like teak, the galley was cut down and granite added, teak and holly sole etc. All that was relatively within a few years of when I saw her. This is the only '92 with 3412's unless there's one someone re-powered. This one definitely was the original Cat powered 54C. Look at the helm. This is the only 54C I've seen where the gauges are mounted where the electronics are. All the others I've seen both Cat and Detroit boats, have the gauges mounted on the dash alongside the wheel. It also had different switches than the others I looked at. Are you certain the boat was a '92 and not the '94? This one has the VIP forward with a queen berth. The '94 has the 3 head layout with bunks in the forward stateroom.
    Jack Sardina

Ternna G became El Ultimo. We picked it up at Coral Reef YC in Ft. Lauderdale from a Mr. Gardner. It was brokered to my buddy by Sonny Middleton's A & M Yacht Sales in Mobile, AL. Sonny said that it had been up the river to Illinois. After delivery we moved it to Galveston, TX until it was sold to owner # 3 who moved it to Boca Grande, FL. Just before it got there the valve let loose.

Absolutely no doubt that this it the boat.
    Last edited by seasalt; 04-17-2013 at 10:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    I thought these had hatches that came up, but could be wrong, it has been years since I was on one. This looks like a really nice boat in the photos. It ought to be fast and relatively cheap to run with the M11s- I couldn't find top speed etc but given that it has a lot more power and that these engines weigh less, she ought to be good for a 25 kt cruise at least.
    I was thinking 25kt, or maybe a bit more. The Power Boat Guide says it would cruise at 24kt with the 6V92s.

The down side is the cozy salon and the lack of a second head. The cockpit is a decent size, but the chair takes up a good portion of it. Also, not sure we could get back and forth to Lake Michigan with the tower the way it is.

It might be worth a look though.

Blaine

Quote Originally Posted by seasalt View Post
    Ternna G became El Ultimo. We picked it up at Coral Reef YC in Ft. Lauderdale from a Mr. Gardner. It was brokered to my buddy by Sonny Middleton's A & M Yacht Sales in Mobile, AL. Sonny said that it had been up the river to Illinois. After delivery we moved it to Galveston, TX until it was sold to owner # 3 who moved it to Boca Grande, FL. Just before it got there the valve let loose.

Absolutely no doubt that this it the boat.
    The name El Ultimo and a TX hailing port sound familiar. I think I still have an abstract of title somewhere for this boat. If I have it I'll forward it to you. Not sure where it popped up but I remember someone one the forum who knew the boat from a PO. He also was a friend of the owner and was familiar with the boat. Maybe the guy your buddy sold the boat to? A search should find it. It would have been sometime from 12/10-3/11.
    Jack Sardina

Quote Originally Posted by Blaine Thorpe View Post
    I was thinking 25kt, or maybe a bit more. The Power Boat Guide says it would cruise at 24kt with the 6V92s.

The down side is the cozy salon and the lack of a second head. The cockpit is a decent size, but the chair takes up a good portion of it. Also, not sure we could get back and forth to Lake Michigan with the tower the way it is.

It might be worth a look though.

Blaine
    A 45C or 46C with QSM11's will run faster than that so I bet she'll cruise in the high 20's. I was looking at that tower and it looks like it would still look right if you had to cut it off at the hard top. The curved overhang aft would help keep it from looking like the tower was hacked off. I still think a 50C would be worth waiting for but if this suits your needs it could be a real nice package. The shallower draft sounds like a big plus for you based on earlier post.
    Jack Sardina