Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

painting non gloss paint

Hi all, I bought an old boat (1982 46C), shipped it across to the otherside of the world and now am in the process of overhauling it.

I am almost ready to paint the outside of the boat but can not remember if the cockpit bulkhead and door are painted gloss or non gloss (what is the most common). I am using Imron and have used flattener in some for decks and the cockpit floor. There are no boats of this kind where I am so have no reference.

Cheers

Re: painting non gloss paint

I wouldn't use flattener unless the surface is rougher than hell and you don't want to fair it, or your trying to do a match or blend job. It's much easier to keep clean and is a lot more durable without flattener. That flattener can turn the surface almost chalky if you use too much. The nonskid will break up the shine on the decks.

The cockpit bulkhead and door are painted gloss. All the vertical surfaces on the boat are. As he mentioned, if you use nonskid for the decks, that will break up the shine enough. I would not use flattener unless you absolutely need it. It makes the paint age faster and hold dirt.

It is all Gloss except maybe a little in the decks as you have done.

Good Luck
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>