Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

soft spots in deck

What is the current thoughts and procedures for repairing soft spots? Is there anything available that can fill the void assuming that the leak is located and fixed?

Russ Appleton
    43 DC
    Slow an' Easy

Re: soft spots in deck

do a search on deck core repairs....tons of great info

Several have been /are there. Take a look at http://www.samsmarine.com/forums/sho...-How-To-Not-To

Regards
    Regards,
    Vincent Castigliola
    Lilly Marie - 43 DC 1983
    Pascagoula, Mississippi

Rather than history as a peaceful continuum interrupted by war, “For the first time in the nation's history men in authority are talking about an "emergency" without a foreseeable end" _ C. Wright Mills 1956

I just repaired a soft spot on our aft deck. We have a 48 LRC. It was very simple and here are the steps I used;
    1. I drilled two 2" holes, with a hole saw about 4 " apart, in the bottom of the deck leaving the top cosmetics alone. Drill the holes appropriately to your area of repair.
    2. Then got a long screwdriver and started scraping all the old wood out until I found a good patch.
    3. Then made a mixture of West Epoxy 105 and 206, use the proper hardener for your temp, added West 406 silica and finally added cotton balls to the soup. Yes cotton balls, they are a natural fiber and make it easy to fill the voids.
    4. Mix up this cocktail till the cotton balls are saturated. The mixture will not pour when held upside down.
    5. Then started stuffing in the voids with a paint stick till I couldn't stuff anymore.
    6. Put on a heat lamp so that the mixture will totally bond with the old glass.

That's it. No soft spot and tremendously strong and it was fun to do.

Stuart