Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Twin Disk M-506 oil pressure UPDATE!!!!

Control valve was stuck and pump is bad.

Re: Twin Disk M-506 oil pressure

So I installed the new pump and now the pressure fluctuates all the time between 150-180, if I engage forward it goes down to 90 and comes back to 130-150, if I hit reverse the pressure goes to 0 so I suppose the transmission is coming out

How did you determine the pump was bad? I would look at the releif valve. Sounds like the spring maybe stuck or broke. You did check that the cable was pulling the shift lever all the way into gear?
    Bob
    "CRAZY HORSE"

Quote Originally Posted by rmatt View Post
    How did you determine the pump was bad? I would look at the releif valve. Sounds like the spring maybe stuck or broke. You did check that the cable was pulling the shift lever all the way into gear?
    I opened the pump and there was a lot of play on the gears inside of the pump so I ordered one. Also by changing the pump it went from 90 lbs all the time to 150-180 lbs. I also looked at the relief valve and it was stuck I also fixed that. Yes the cable is fulling the shift lever all the way into gear.

I went back and reread your original post. Since you had the boat did the gear ever make acceptable pressure? When you examined the stuck valve did you just free it up or did you dissemble it? If you dissembled it was there a shim or shims below the spring?
    Bob
    "CRAZY HORSE"

I just free it up.

You need to pull it apart. The spring could be broken. Any chance someone else tried to fix this before you got it? If you want a breakdown of the valve, pm me with your email and I'll send it to you.
    Bob
    "CRAZY HORSE"

I have no idea if someone tried to fix it before. I found a thread here from the previous owner asking about the low pressure and everyone told him to check the screen filter. Nothing more.

PM sent.

Quote Originally Posted by captddis View Post
    You are checking the oil level while idiling right? Are they manual gauges? Most Twin Disc gears run 300 to 400lbs of pressure.
    Just replaced my senders and gauges along with the screens. Mine run above 350 psi.

Could there be a restriction in the tube to the gauge?
    Looking for another boat...not a Hatt