Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

A few winter projects

We finally got down to the boat this weekend to work on a few winter projects. Didn't really get a good start (see other thread called "water line fiasco") due to other things that popped up but did get the backsplash completed and almost completed the galley floors.

The backsplash is glass tile to bring the new galley fabrics and corian countertops together (so stated by the wife).

We have been working on the floors all summer. Put down 3/8 teak and holly with 5 coats of alexseal. Made a few mistakes and had to cover them up but all in all it didn't come out too bad, however I am very upset about the fact that we tipped the refrigerator over while doing the floors and broke the corian countertop. Look carefully at the left corner next to the cooktop and you can see the crack. I don't know what to do about it. I glued the top back together but it knocked a chip out of the bottom and it shattered. Thoughts on how to fix?

On the floors we did the galley, all 3 heads and passageway between the engine rooms. Steps and hatches took the longest time. I had some help otherwise we would still be working on them.
    Not to happy about picture quality but I snapped a few pics with my cell phone prior to leaving the boat earlier today.

backsplash.jpg

galley.jpg

galley floor.jpg

Re: A few winter projects

Love it! Absolutely beautiful. Where did you buy the team and holly? I assume they are 4x8 or 4x10 sheets? How do you handle end seams?
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

LOVE the backsplash and floors! Teak/holly floors are going to be my winter project as well but I am likely going to hire out for the work. Contemplating whether I should have the heads done as well; will probably have them quote it both ways and see what is the difference. I kind of hate to fool with the heads because we just put down vinyl 3 years ago and it's "still good" though the wood would be much nicer.

Cheryl
    Cinderella
    1971 53MY

Very nice. We are contemplating the same project in our galley for next year, thanks for sharing!
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

The Corian can be fixed/glued, but you will need the proper two-part epoxy. It runs about $40/tube and you will need the mixing nozzle and the special gun to dispense it. Once glued, you just sand and polish to match.

Here is where I bought all of my supplies when I built my Corian tops. In fact, I just bought a bunch of stuff from these guys as we are in the process of making new tops for our coffee counter at our gas station. They had the best prices.

http://solidsurface.com/tools-supplies/adhesives
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

We purchased the teak and holly from a local supplier in Wilmington NC. World Panel had better prices but with shipping World Panel was slightly more and we would have had to wait. Local pickup was nice and easy. We only used one 4' x 10' sheet all the rest was 4' x 8' so we had no butt joints.

The trim cost as much if not more than the plywood. Probably would have spent less if we had made our trim from stock but would have taken more time. All in all we have about 3000.00 in wood and finish.

Worst part besides the time consuming steps was trying to move the refrigerator around to get the plywood underneath. First thought we would take the thing out but I still don't know how the previous owner got it in there the first time. Fighting with the frig is how we broke the countertop.

Thanks for the link on the corian fix. I have already got some materials ordered.