Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I'm committed to the asylum (galley remodel)

Years ago my then-wife ripped a piece of wallpaper off the kitchen wall to motivate me to remodel the kitchen. I ended up tearing down walls and ceilings and cabinets and building a new kitchen.

Sunday I finally got tired of the mirrors on the galley wall.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12400[/ATTACH
    Attached Images
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

Re: I'm committed to the asylum (galley remodel)

Why would anyone cover beautiful aformosia teak with those cheap mirrors?

DSCN1642.JPG
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

Wow, there's an electrical panel behind there, both 32 volt and 120 volt!

DSCN1643.JPGDSCN1644.JPG

What is that copper water line doing there?

I can dig the mirrors !! Think Disco. Those were the days. NOT !!.
    Pate B.
    1985 43' MY "Blue Bayou"
    Southport, NC

Good for you, David!!! You're not alone. I couldn't envision the mirrors in your previous comments to me, and now that I see that....geez, that would have driven me nuts long before now. Good job!

A piece of loose or peeling wallpaper is Enemy #1. It always leads to a big job. That's what started the renovation of one of my staterooms, and it's what started all that work in the heads, including rebuilding all of the GM heads which then got replaced with Vacuflush shortly thereafter. Damn peeling wallpaper!

Take lots of photos for us and keep me in the loop on how it's going. This one is on my list, too.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Quote Originally Posted by davidwigler View Post
    Wow, there's an electrical panel behind there, both 32 volt and 120 volt!

Attachment 12402Attachment 12403

What is that copper water line doing there?
    Water line to the ice maker in the refrigerator or water line to the dishwasher? Air line from the engine's compressor to the air horns? I can't remember whether I have one or not. I'm pretty sure my dishwasher and ice maker lines are run through the lower cabinets, though. I was in there not too long ago when I was hooking up the electrical for the new under cabinet lights - just can't remember all the detail.
    Last edited by Angela; 11-07-2012 at 09:02 PM.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"

Now comes the design phase. The existing cabinets on the aft galley half-wall are 21" deep. The corner cabinet against the port wall is useless, and I dislike the built-in microwave in the lower cabinet. I'm going to buy new solid wood 24" lower cabinets. That way I can move the dishwasher and compactor to the half-wall, and get more and better storage in the space. Then I can replace the original oven with a 30" induction cooktop range and an over the range microwave.

I'm going to install granite tops. I know about the weight issue, but Windsong is my floating condo, and I can't afford planing speeds anyway. I'll cut the prop pitch back by an inch at the next haulout.

Any ideas or comments will be appreciated.

"Air line from the engine's compressor to the air horns." I'll bet you're right. There's no reason for a water line to go up to the bridge, and the compressor is on the port engine right below the galley. Maybe now I can find the intermittent leak to the air horns.

Another "while I'm in there" has occurred to me. I have to put down the hardwood floors in the salon and galley before installing the new cabinets. Let's have a carpet ripping party! This is getting expensive.

Most pre-made cabinets are junk. Have them custom made in place with OEM veneer. You can also use marine latches and hardware.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Good non-custom cabinets do exist. You just gotta know what you're looking at. If you're looking for quality pre-made cabinets, go for 3/4" solid wood construction (no particle board), dovetail joints, etc. Hardware is always an "add-on", so you can do whatever you like there, marine or not. The good ones will be a special order from somewhere and they won't be cheap. It's been so long since I last built a house, that I can't even remember where I used to find stuff like that. LOL Now, will you find them in matching teak? Probably not. I really like the cabinets Sky has made that uses the OEM teak.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"