Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14

Re: Whats the latest on your condition in the North East with Sandy?

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Its a shame after dong so much work. When you take into account the cost of replacing everything damaged including labor it just goes too high. I wonder how many Hatteras will be lost from this mess.

How did the water get in? Was it from the drain.s or did she flounder?
    She was put away for the winter Wrapped, winterized and drain plug out

They always say plug the plug on land B.S I never pull mine turned into the anchor wash down. If you cover it why pull the plug plus we have self bailing deck so why
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

I agree with Jack. I think the idea of building a sea gate or sea wall is laughable. For far less than the cost of building such a structure (which might protect the area intended, but might just move the storm surge to another unprotected area as well) you could relocate all the communities affected by the recent unpleasantness and return the shoreside areas to other uses- like beaches, which is what they were to begin with.

I think the idea of building a barrier, moveable or otherwise, is a classic example of working against nature and the laws of physics rather than with them. A useful inducement to relocating the folks in the affected areas would be to offer to reimburse them at 100% if they move to a non-flood-zone area, and terminate the flood insurance program for those areas with a warning period of a year or two. It is ridiculous that we as taxpayers keep paying people to rebuild houses that are a few dozen feet from the ocean or gulf. It is the ultimate in shortsighted thinking. If sighted at all....blind might be a better word.

Quote Originally Posted by 34Hatt View Post
    They always say plug the plug on land B.S I never pull mine turned into the anchor wash down. If you cover it why pull the plug plus we have self bailing deck so why
    That's awful about Magic Hatt. Not something Bob or anybody needs.

I'm starting to think you're right about leaving the plug in for something like this. I left the plug out of the runabout expecting it to fill with rain. Instead, it floated off it's blocks and promptly sank, drowning the engine. It's not self-bailing, but I coud have stuck a battery in it to run the bilge pump just for the storm.

Oh well, hindsight is 20/20.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

4. Re: Whats the latest on your condition in the North East with Sandy?

So the folks at Breezy Point, N.Y. have received notices of "Failure to maintain" their knocked down homes.... Classy
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

Isn't that nice. I think if I was there and saw someone hanging that on what was left of my house, I'd turn into Clete Purcel for a few moments....

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxfishgyd View Post
    So the folks at Breezy Point, N.Y. have received notices of "Failure to maintain" their knocked down homes.... Classy
    Isn't faailure to maintain referring to no or inadequate insurance coverage? I thought it was in reference to the home owner being responsible for their damages because they either didn't secure proper coverage or they let the policy lapse. Or is there some other meaning to this?
    Jack Sardina

I wish everyone good luck