Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
  1. Whats the latest on your condition in the North East with Sandy?

Time for a new thread on how Sandy's affecting you ??
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

Re: Whats the latest on your condition in the North East with Sandy?

I watched the guys at my marina put the Tow Boat US on land today. Is that a sign. I am on the south shore of long island and still in the water. going to inspect the boat tonight at high tide. At low tide today at 5pm the water was even with the dock

Art
    Trouble
    43DCFB DC-306
    AYC NY

Here in British Columbia we tried to get sympathy going for you guys by having an earthquake and possible tidal waves, got the quake but very little wave action, hope all goes well for the North East US.

Hi All,

Here in costal mass ie Marion, Mattapoisette, Westport, Dartmouth, Fairhaven etc it's blowing 15-20 with small gusts, drizzle, 50 degrees.

This afternoons moon low tide was higher than usual.

Storm surge now predicted to be 4-6 feet, and since we live on the harbors edge that puts it in my driveway.
    Gene
    Former Owner 1974 Hatteras Yachtfish
    Glittering Image

Hull # 50
    Total Production 1972-1975 Sixty Four

Thats some surge right there. NE quadrant!

"DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

6. Re: Whats the latest on your condition in the North East with Sandy?

Last month I was at Atlantic Highlands Marina in NJ while doing a delivery.. it's very close to the ocean and basically zero protection... The people working there said it wouldn't be till beginning of Dec before they could get all the boats hauled....
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

According to the buoy reports we had 30kt winds gusting to 40kts and the storm was still 500 miles away. Entrance to NY harbor had 12ft waves and 25ft waves off shore. High tide was about 2ft above normal and we didn't get much of a low tide. It's pretty grim here. I spent the day doing the best I can to prepare for this but I'm not sure how to prepare for a 12ft surge. We keep hearing that this will be a record flood, worse than the Halloween storm in '91. That storm blew out the sea wall and there was 8ft of water in town. If that happens all boats on land will float off and the ones in the water will go over the pilings by far. This is the first time I've seen NYC shut down. There are areas that have mandatory evacuations and the entire transit system has been shut down, There's talk of shutting power to lower Manhattan if the flooding is as bad as anticipated. I was going to ride it out on the boat but I couldn't leave my wife and two small children alone at home to deal with this massive storm. My mother lives in central NY about 200 miles inland and they actually are under a tropical storm warning. This is insane. I wish everyone the best and be safe.
    Jack Sardina

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxfishgyd View Post
    Last month I was at Atlantic Highlands Marina in NJ while doing a delivery.. it's very close to the ocean and basically zero protection... The people working there said it wouldn't be till beginning of Dec before they could get all the boats hauled....
    I'm about 3 miles from there.
    Jack Sardina

Hi All,

Jack, I will keep you, your family, and SALTSHAKER in my prayers.
    Gene
    Former Owner 1974 Hatteras Yachtfish
    Glittering Image

Hull # 50
    Total Production 1972-1975 Sixty Four

Quote Originally Posted by lumina View Post
    Hi All,

Jack, I will keep you, your family, and SALTSHAKER in my prayers.
    Thanks Gene. Same for all the rest up here. This thing is huge and impacting so many of us.
    Jack Sardina