Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Grey water question

This is not what I'd call important, or maybe not even slightly interesting but in doing some plumbing work the past week or so I got to wondering...

Why are there shower sumps? Grey water from the sinks/garbage disposal, the dishwasher, and the washing machine goes straight overboard but showers do not. Why add the complication of a shower sump and pump plumbing when the water ends up in the same place as the rest of the grey water?

I'm sure there's a good technical reason for it...or is there?
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Re: Grey water question

Mike in mine it's because the drains for both showers are below the water line so it has to be pumped up to go out. Also the sink in the master head is on a interior wall so that also drains down to the shower sump.

Chris
    Superior Nights 53C

Quote Originally Posted by chris piazza View Post
    Mike in mine it's because the drains for both showers are below the water line so it has to be pumped up to go out. Also the sink in the master head is on a interior wall so that also drains down to the shower sump.

Chris
    Superior Nights 53C
    Exactly.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

Mike,
    Please tell me you are kidding?

Long night partying mike? :?

Never post in a forum before morning coffee....
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by captddis View Post
    Mike,
    Please tell me you are kidding?
    That's exactly what I mumbled to myself as I read Mike's post. LOL Well, we all have a brain fart every now and then.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Mike's post is perfectly valid, on my 70, the showers are pumped directly overboard, not through a sump, pump discharge has a check valve, nothing wrong with that system, no different than pumping a bilge via bilge pump, plus, no retained odors and less maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck Dennis View Post
    Mike's post is perfectly valid, on my 70, the showers are pumped directly overboard, not through a sump, pump discharge has a check valve, nothing wrong with that system, no different than pumping a bilge via bilge pump, plus, no retained odors and less maintenance.

Mike asked why the shower uses a PUMP when the other discharges do not.
    I believe it is called gravity or the plumbing rule that shit travels down hill.
    The shower water will NOT run uphill to the discharge.

Not sure what pumps you use, mine pump from the sh. drain up 12" and then out, no problems no odors.

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck Dennis View Post
    Not sure what pumps you use, mine pump from the sh. drain up 12" and then out, no problems no odors.
    Now, that IS interesting! What kind of pump to you have? It would seem to me like some sort of "inline" pump rather than one like a bilge pump that is set down and uses a float switch. I wouldn't mind having something like that, but I've never seen one. What is it?????
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com