Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: New Outback 3232 thread

Jeff,
    Thats a great way to do the inverters. With 220v you can use all the Hatt systems. I only had the one Outback so when I found the trace worked I split the panels.
    My crew is not good at calualating watts but they are really good at asking before they start up something they think is a energy hog.
    I take a sandwich when I go into the hole. Going in tomorrow for a few more hours.
    Skooch

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    Sky/MikeP,

Where did you locate your Outback? Is the genny room too hot when the genny's running for that to be a suitable location?

My Outback is in the genny room right next to the batteries on the port side.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by OBXTucker View Post
    Thanks David! I've decided to hook all 3 banks together into 1 bank, which gives me a theoretical 3,200 amp hours. I'm also going to stack the two Outbacks. These will produce up to 60 amps of charging power and 6,000 watts. PLENTY of power on both ends.

Interesting comments on the Inverter switches. Kismet actually has 2 inverter switches, one in the galley and one on a breaker panel. I'm ashamed to say that I've never messed with either one, as the current set-up (inverters) have worked as they should.

We do have a prefabricated ladder for the area behind the pilothouse panel. I've spent many hours back there cleaning up old wires. It also helped to quickly get back there when I melted the main lead coming from a generator to the breaker panel. Fortunately, there's a lot of room back there and it's easy to sit down and work for many hours - if necessary!
    You'd better break out your Calder book. Three banks of full size Rolls 8HHG25's have a total of 825 amp hours, equivalent to 2333 12 volt AH Divide that in half for usable ah. Maybe you are thinking kilowatts? Do you have two generators? I'd get paranoid (easy for me) about drawing down all the banks, one of the reasons I went with a dedicated inverter bank. Like boats there are compromises with each approach.

Ang, my Magnum has done well in my generator room for 5 years. It does get hot in there, which I am sure affects both batteries and gear, but so far so good.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

"Sky/MikeP,

Where did you locate your Outback? Is the genny room too hot when the genny's running for that to be a suitable location?"

Same as Sky - Genny room except my Outback is next to batts on the starboard side rather than the port side!
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

*hand raised* (knowing full well that there ARE dumb questions)....

My outback is configured as Sky's. (works good for me). that said...

How does one know when it's time to recharge?

(I'm assuming that when things go black it's time.)

As of yet....I've never drained to the point where the engine would not start. Usually about 6-8 hrs and I recharge. But where it gets confusing is when you DON'T want to recharge to fully charged but still want to use the inverter after it's been turned off for a while. It gets hard to keep up with sometimes!

do you use "calculations" (in which case, disregard this post) or is there another way?

Thanks..
    just wonderin'
    Dave

If you have an Outback, they make a device called the Flexnet DC. This will track the input and output amp/hours of the batteries and tell you how much power you have left in your bank. I don't have one, but I was on another HOFer's boat that did and he loved it.
    Sky Cheney

One other thought on tying all banks together: Look at your cable size. If you are tying starting banks together, this could be a problem. When you hit that starter button, a rush of current is going to not only come out of the dedicated bank for that engine, but also be drawn from all other banks tied to it (especially if that start bank is low or dead).

If your connecting cables are not of sufficient size to handle all of the starting load, you have the potential to burn them up and start a fire.
    Sky Cheney

Quote Originally Posted by GJH View Post
    You'd better break out your Calder book. Three banks of full size Rolls 8HHG25's have a total of 825 amp hours, equivalent to 2333 12 volt AH Divide that in half for usable ah. Maybe you are thinking kilowatts? Do you have two generators? I'd get paranoid (easy for me) about drawing down all the banks, one of the reasons I went with a dedicated inverter bank. Like boats there are compromises with each approach.

Ang, my Magnum has done well in my generator room for 5 years. It does get hot in there, which I am sure affects both batteries and gear, but so far so good.
    George, you're absolutely correct. I forgot that I'm keeping three sets in series (still 275 amps) and now combing them in parallel (x3 = 875).

We have two independent 20kw generators that have seperate starting banks, so there's plenty of charging power should we happen to run the banks down.

"How does one know when it's time to recharge? "

We normally run all night on the inverter (from around 10 PM to maybe 9AM) and then crank up the genny in the AM for a couple of hours. It seldom takes the inverter more than two hours to recharge the batts to full level. But running all night has never depleted the batts below 75% charge and the engines spin on start just as they do with the batts fully charged. (Our batt banks are combined; they are not separate start/house as per oem.)

One way to determine approximate batt condition is to read the voltage off the Mate (Outback remote readout). The batt voltage will tell you the charge level. However, if the batteries are not in good internal condition the voltage is not a good indicator - sulfated batteries can show good voltage but have reduced capacity.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    If you have an Outback, they make a device called the Flexnet DC. This will track the input and output amp/hours of the batteries and tell you how much power you have left in your bank. I don't have one, but I was on another HOFer's boat that did and he loved it.
    I like it! (It's "on my level" ) I don't think I'm taking full advantage of my Outback meaning I use the gen more than needed. I may get one of these.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    "How does one know when it's time to recharge? "

One way to determine approximate batt condition is to read the voltage off the Mate (Outback remote readout). The batt voltage will tell you the charge level. However, if the batteries are not in good internal condition the voltage is not a good indicator - sulfated batteries can show good voltage but have reduced capacity.
    Good info Mike. I need to get into the manuals and see what I've got and what it'll do.

Thanks..