Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: New Outback 3232 thread

If they are really Sentrys then they absolutely don't need a timer. They can be calibrated by most factory authorized CruiseAir Dometic techs, you can even DIY. They shut themselves off when properly calibrated. I got my Sentry redone a couple of years ago now and it has been perfect, charging two banks, one w/Rolls full size and one w/Deka 8v195s. Nice thing is they are field serviceable.

I didn't catch the part about you having inverters already now so would need more info on that. Why aren't they charging the batteries they draw from? Just straight inverters?

Aren't the Outbacks like the Magnum where they will automatically adjust the charge amperage so that it will not take away from the loads?
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

Here's a pic of the circuit panel that contains the circuits in our boat that are connected to the inverter. The inverter neutral buss is the vertical buss at the far left with the white wires. The standard neutral buss is the horizontal buses with the white wires.

It's hard to see but you may be able to discern that the hot busses/breakers have several separate connections as opposed to a single bar to which all breakers connect. There are individual "bars" for the relevant breakers which are connected to the inverter hot lead. Not sure this pic helps all that much but it's the best I have. You can purchase various configurations of buss bars from several different suppliers or you can make them yourself. Essentially you will need to separate the inverter-powered circuit buss bars from the non-inverter buss bars. You could move all the inverter breakers to one side of the panel and use a single common inverter buss bar or leave the breakers where they are and make up individual breaker connections to the inverter hot. The latter is how are panel is set up.

Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Or just power everything off of the inverter and make it easy.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Or just power everything off of the inverter and make it easy.
    That requires spending the extra to get an inverter or two capable of doing that and installing it correctly.

For some reason most see that option as too expensive especially if its to be done correctly.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    That requires spending the extra to get an inverter or two capable of doing that and installing it correctly.

For some reason most see that option as too expensive especially if its to be done correctly.
    As long as you size the inverter breaker properly, there should be no issue. But I know what you're saying. For a top notch installation, stack inverters, buy the fancy switch gear, and run everything seamlessly, without ever knowing what the power source actually is.
    Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 09-25-2012 at 08:59 PM.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by OBXTucker View Post
    There are a zillion Outback Charger/Inverter threads here, but this one is relatively simple:

I've gone ahead and bit the bullet. Order 2 Outbacks today, along with the Communication Hub and Mate.
    These will power three 32V banks (2 of which are starting and 1 is house). The starting banks are set up to parallel, which is typical, and will charge off of one Outback. The other will power the house bank.

I don't plan to change out this configuration, so all I'll be doing is pulling my 2 old Sentry's and installing these new units. I'll also run the Mate up to the pilot house.

QUESTION: Is this a reasonably easy/straight forward install (other than the sometimes confusing programming) that I can do myself? I'm pretty adept at electronics and have all of the tools aboard to handle everything except crimping the large cables. For those of you whom have done this yourselves, how would you rate this on a scale of 1 - 10?

For those of you whom had it professionally installed, can you let me know what you paid?

Trying to weigh the DIY vs. time saved having the pros do it.

Thanks!
    geoff geier # 336 shendoah
    we installed a 3232 last yr. i had a elect eng help me and it took 2 z7 1/2 days. as everyone says, the circuits can be tricky. and don't forget the elect box in the eng rm. but it has been the neatest thing i have put on the boat to date.

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Also, be aware of the amp draw of the Outback while charging. Since most Hatt OEM chargers were 240v, it wasn't much of an issue. But, the Outback is pulling 120v off of one leg and it can cause issues at full charge amperage when combined with other loads. You may have to watch your ammeters for a while and switch legs if it causes you to draw too much.
    As you may know, the Outback can be programmed fairly simply to limit its own draw. I once left my 53MY in a warehouse in Key West over hurricane season and they let me use a 15 amp 120V plug to power my battery charging and a dehumidifier. I programmed the Outback to draw 8 amps max because the dehum could draw 6 max. It worked perfect for months while I was there.

Doug

Sky/MikeP,

Where did you locate your Outback? Is the genny room too hot when the genny's running for that to be a suitable location?
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Jeff,
    I had an older Trace 3225 behind the pilot house. I could not get it to run correctly. I bought an Outback and ended up finding the Trace was just fine but wired incorrectly. SO I wired the Outback to the B panel and the Trace to the C panel. (perhaps the other way around??)THere is a rotory switch to flow 110v to the inverter or the Hatt panel or not. This is one of the harder things to figure out, but once its set to inverter it stays there until there is a problem with inverter or charging. That way all the 110v AC panels are energized and the batteries get a double charge. If one Inverter were to die I can simply wire up both panels to the survivor in a hour or so.

Its worked great for a year now. All the lights are low watt and we have never tripped a breaker on the inverter or boat. The batteries charge real fast but I need to get the smart box so I can watch how many amps are charging from the Trace. When we run the ICW many nights we anchor and leave without running the gen sets at all.

I have 16 8V AGM 220AH batteries.
    I did have help from a great electronic friend for the install, but 1-10 I would give it a 7. Its easier if you have a step in the forward stairwell to get thru the door access to behind the pilot house.
    Good luck, feel free to contact me if I can help.
    Skooch
    Sassafras River MD

Thanks David! I've decided to hook all 3 banks together into 1 bank, which gives me a theoretical 3,200 amp hours. I'm also going to stack the two Outbacks. These will produce up to 60 amps of charging power and 6,000 watts. PLENTY of power on both ends.

Interesting comments on the Inverter switches. Kismet actually has 2 inverter switches, one in the galley and one on a breaker panel. I'm ashamed to say that I've never messed with either one, as the current set-up (inverters) have worked as they should.

We do have a prefabricated ladder for the area behind the pilothouse panel. I've spent many hours back there cleaning up old wires. It also helped to quickly get back there when I melted the main lead coming from a generator to the breaker panel. Fortunately, there's a lot of room back there and it's easy to sit down and work for many hours - if necessary!