Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

system monitor/water temp fault

We just moved the boat about 400+ miles and had the heat exchanger rebuilt on the port engine prior to departure. 200 miles or so into the trip, the water temp sensor on that engine went off, even though the engine was happy in the 160' range. the dumb question for you experts is: how to I determine whether the sensor is bad or there is a fault somewhere in the actual monitor system box? Thank in advance.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

Re: system monitor/water temp fault

Take a little jumper wire and put it across the terminals on the sensor. If that stops the alarm, then it is the sensor. If not, give Roger Wetherington a call. His number is on here, or you can call Sam's and they'll get you in touch. They will also sell you a new sensor (and tell you where to find it on the engine).

A jumper wire or two, say 16Ga, with alligator clips on each end comes in really handy on a boat.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

The fault can be in one of three places: The sensor can be bad, you could have a bad wire, or you could have a bad board.

Do as George describes to check the sensor. The same procedure can be done at the terminals on the board to check for a bad wire. If neither of the first two test solves the issue, then it is in the board itself.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

If George comes to one more of my classes he will be able to teach the course. He is right on how to check the alarm
    Roger Wetherington
    252-670-4819 rwetheringt@centurylink.net
    Sam's Marine
    www.samsmarine.com

If you had the cooling system apart, you could have a bubble of air where the sender is located and causing the sender to activate. Ask me how I know.
    Bob
    "CRAZY HORSE"

Thanks to all for the tips. It turns out that after following your advice without success that the culprit was a W171 dip 14 magnecraft circuit on the board of the monitor that decided to retire. After eliminating the other suggested culprits I swapped another circuit on the board and the problem disappeared. For $7 per circuit, I decided to buy 2 and just tape a 2nd on the board in case another fails. It still is not wired correctly since the silence button never works on either the lower or upper helm. I just need to take a picture and ask the guru Roger for guidance. Merry Christmas and thanks to the forum for another problem solved.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

Great result. I am having the same issue. Roger is helping me out , as well. Can anyone tell me whether the sender depicted here is the only sender that feeds water temp information to the monitor on that engine? My 56 had the sender much closer to the thermostat housing. Thanks for the help.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    The fault can be in one of three places: The sensor can be bad, you could have a bad wire, or you could have a bad board.

Do as George describes to check the sensor. The same procedure can be done at the terminals on the board to check for a bad wire. If neither of the first two test solves the issue, then it is in the board itself.
    Sky - I want to make sure I understand this. Just recently on my 74, I ran into a false water temp alarm. I pulled the two wires from the sender and jumped those and the alarm still sounded. Then I jumped the two wires on the board itself and the alarm was silenced. I thought that meant I had a bad board but I am pleased to read your analysis that jumping the board which stops the alarm means I have a bad wire, unless I read your post wrong.

On my 6 71's the sender has only one terminal, odd that others have 2 ?. or, are there two senders, one alarm one temp reading ?

Quote Originally Posted by JLR View Post
    Sky - I want to make sure I understand this. Just recently on my 74, I ran into a false water temp alarm. I pulled the two wires from the sender and jumped those and the alarm still sounded. Then I jumped the two wires on the board itself and the alarm was silenced. I thought that meant I had a bad board but I am pleased to read your analysis that jumping the board which stops the alarm means I have a bad wire, unless I read your post wrong.

Correct. Now try running a new wire from the board to the sensor. Don't bother tying it all up, just run it down the corridor temporarily to confirm that is your issue.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI