Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Davit lifting straps

I just got a new toy! It's a 13' Boston Whaler Dauntless. Now the hard part. I already have the cradle for the boat on the roof of my 63MY... Now I have to lift the Dauntless. Where does one purchase the lifting strap/cable harness?? The Whaler has very nece lift points inside the boat, and I think something like a seat belt webbing, or swagged stainless steal cable setup would be ideal... but where do you get that sort of animal?? Thanks

Re: Davit lifting straps

a commercial lifting strap company. Looks like you are in Knoxville. try these guys.
    http://www.ashleysling.com/
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

From what I remember the Dauntless is way heavier than the std 13 whaler. Make sure your davit can handle it. You can find a wealth of whaler info on www.continuouswave.com
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

I recall the same thing as R Smith, my 13 ft 130 Sport is almost at 1000# soaking wet and is pretty much at the limit of what my Marquipt davit can tolerate (it bows noticeably) and I have to send my 1200# Go Lo winch out for a rebuild as it now trips breakers under the load. So what model davit you have is critical. The good news is, those things tow very nicely.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

The 13 dauntless tips the scale at 650, add 200 for the 2 stroke 50, 100 for the "stuff", and the 1k marquip should handle it. I'll check out the strap place in my own back yard, thanks for the tip!

I made my own cables. Many hardware stores/West Marine have the coated cables and clamping tool.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by dottieshusband View Post
    The 13 dauntless tips the scale at 650, add 200 for the 2 stroke 50, 100 for the "stuff", and the 1k marquip should handle it. I'll check out the strap place in my own back yard, thanks for the tip!
    Well , that's sorta what I thought too in my case. My 40hp 2 stroke Merc weighs closer to 225, then fuel @ 6# a gallon, not sure if the battery is included, then in my case a bimini at about 20 lbs, anchor w/chain and line, let's add a stern anchor too. I had Marquipt come weigh it own in Florida (they put a scale between boat and hook) and it came in right about 1000#. Might be a little water intrusion into the foam, not uncommon to Whalers. As they say, "just sayin".... give it a try.

Now for another issue: The PO went to an aluminum "strong arm" to get the attachment point low enough so you get the boat over the chicks without running out of room, so study the geometry a bit to make sure you can lift it high enough to get it in the chocks. The console affects that on the Sport and it looks like moreso on the Dauntless.If you can make it work, you'll have a great time with that boat.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

Oh, I am worried about, being so close to gross. We towed the Whaler to the game Saturday, and as you point out, it tows great. I lifted a jetski up onto it's cradle, and the davit didn't even blink. But, it will or it won't. The marquip on mine also has an aluminium lifting arm. Box channel shouldn't bow significantly, if it does on my lift, I'll abort. I am a big proponent of DIY, but for an overhead lift, I think I'll go with a pro built rig.

this was on the vintage Whaler site

14-Dauntless = 1000 lbs (1999 catalogue)
    13-Dauntless = 650 lbs (1998 catalogue)
    13-Sport = 580 lbs (2000 catalogue)

The 14-Dauntless is 420 pounds heavier (72%) than the 13-Sport
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

If the davit arm is sound but the winch within it is marginal, you may wish to consider replacing the cable with a longer one and adding a single sheave block system. It will slow down the process because it will need much more scope but this simple setup called a "gun tackle" will reduce the work of the winch by half.
    Shawn
    58 MY