Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Which batteries start port engine?! Need fast answers, supposed to shove off at 2

How long has it been since you had them running? They can set up tight and not turn over even with good batteries and starter motor. You may need to use a breaker bar and socket to rotate the engine a couple of turns first to free up the innards.

Re: Which batteries start port engine?! Need fast answers, supposed to shove off at 2

When was the last time you serviced your batteries? How did the terminals look? Clean, tight?

Any unusual water usage? Any one cell that didn't need water (dead cell)? How old are the batteries and what brand/model?
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Be vary careful when engaging the starter. You could be running the risk of a battery explosion if there are bad batteries in the banks.
    Mario
    1972 58' Hatteras Yachtfisherman
    Siboney

As a back up to the parallel switch, i keep jumpper cables in the ER for emergencies.

I used them once to start the generator.

So, looks like I HAD a battery with a dead cell or dead cells. Water levels were checked early last week and again just before trying to crank her up. No unusual water usage. But they are most certainly ready for replacement. Terminals are clean and tight, all wiring and terminals from battery to engines and charger are less than 5 years old (replaced when I bought her). Looks like the batteries just gave up at the wrong time.

Before ordering new batteries (I'm going to replace ALL of them as they are on their 4th or 5th year) the shop wanted me to demo for them what was happening. So they sent a tech down. I hit the ignition and we hear a POP from the starboard bank. Tech looks at me and said "and that was a battery exploding" and that was that. Yes, indeed, a battery EXPLODED! Thank GOD for heavy duty battery boxes with good lids. It contained EVERYTHING but there are a bunch of shards of plastic and multiple gallons on what used to be battery acid in the bottom of the battery box. Could have been a LOT worse. I neutralized it with baking soda (added more and more until it totally stopped fizzing). SO...new batteries are being ordered and installed.

As for the vacation... I ended up borrowing a friends oh-boat to save the vacation. It served the purpose quite well. Not a perfect long weekend, but overall not horrible.
    Dave
    "Saraswati" - 1980 53MY
    Galesville, MD

Quote Originally Posted by MarioG View Post
    Be vary careful when engaging the starter. You could be running the risk of a battery explosion if there are bad batteries in the banks.
    Indeed! Lesson learned and let it stand as a warning to others...
    Dave
    "Saraswati" - 1980 53MY
    Galesville, MD