Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Navigation Programs

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxfishgyd View Post
    And what computers does everyone use??
    With iPads waterproof and floating covers, they are hard to beat.
    1986 52 Convertible
    Island Son

I have a really silly question about the ipod, and cell phone programs. What do you do when you are out far enough and outof cell phone range, or in an area where cell coverage doesn't cover?

3. Re: Navigation Programs

I just went through this in my recent search for a smart phone. Apparently some phones work only with gps assist but the government is pushing for all phones to have their own gps chip. I settled on the morotrola atrix with the Navionics app for Android. It worked great 50 miles offshore (displaying no cell service) on a trip north in June on a 50' Hatt sportfish.

I must add that finding specifics that confirmed any given phone had it's own chip or merely gps assist was difficult!!
    Last edited by rmaher; 08-29-2012 at 09:04 PM. Reason: addional thought

The Bad Elf GPS plug-in http://bad-elf.com/products/ turns the iPad/Iphone into a GPS receiver - no cell phone signal is involved or necessary.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

iPhones have a GPS chip and work pretty well when no cell signal is avail (crossing over to the Bahamas or on the bank)

iPads with cell modem also have a GPS chip and should work the same way although I have nr tried one. iPads without the cell chip do not have built in in GPS but can use a Bluetooth external gps receiver, like the Globalsat 368 I use with my laptop
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Ipad 2 and newer have a GPS that works when out of cell range in my experience. navionics marine app from antigua to newport on a sailboat worked fine (we had 2 ipads and bad weather took out the radar post) , and in small aircraft between 5000 and 9000 ft msl using Foreflight. Have used that app in commercial aircraft way up high with limited success.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

Thank you all for the responses. I like the idea of a laptop plotter for a backup system. I still like a GPS and chart plotter for primary navigation.

One more question if I may.

Can these cell phone programs, accept changes as listed on the weekly notice to mariners, and can you make notes, and put way points into them. Opps sorry 3 questions in one.

From what I have read and from what my iPad 2 (WiFi) and my iPhone 3 demonstrate, the Ipad cannot determine position if it is not receiving a WiFi signal; the Iphone cannot determine position if it does not have either a cell signal or a WiFi signal. Maybe the latest versions are different but a device such as the Bad Elf receiver is required to turn my Ipad or Iphone into a "chart plotter" that will work anywhere.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

The GPS function on an Ipad is on the 3G chip. You do not need a 3G signal or even a data plan for it to work, but a wifi only Ipad does not have a standalone GPS. You can also buy a non 3G Ipad and then get an external GPS as has been suggested.

I use Opencpn on a laptop with a GPS dongle as a primary source a electronic navigation since I can plan at home and just bring it. The Ipad (and garmin 2010c) is secondary, but is nice because of its portability. The external GPS would be less attractive to me for that reason.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

iPhone gps works without cell signal. We have used it 40+ miles off. I have no tried the iPad that far out.
    1986 52 Convertible
    Island Son