Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

53 MY air conditioner for aft deck ??

Been kicking around the idea of installing a self contained AC unit to cool the back deck area of our 53MY, making the deck an "extension" of the salon in warm weather so we would leave the salon doors open. We have an unused (currently capped) seacock in the aft bilge area that could provide cooling water. I'm thinking somewhere around 6-7k BTU would be sufficient.

Anyone done this and have any thoughts/advice?
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Re: 53 MY air conditioner for aft deck ??

I dont think that s going to be big enough even if you leave the saloon doors open to help. It takes two 12 to 16k units to cool the saloon which has much better insulation and less beam

The labor, wiring, control, plumbing, etc will be the same,may as well spend a few extra $ on the larger unit.
    Last edited by Pascal; 08-27-2012 at 12:47 PM.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Our 53MY came with a 16K BTU heat-cool unit, as many 53MYs have. They are always under the steps to the flybridge.

I'd agree with Pascal. Keep in mind most aft decks are not as well insulated as an interior room. Admittedly our aft deck is bigger than a 53's. A PO installed a Mermaid 16,500 btu unit which seems just about right. It is plumbed as you describe to what was a decommissioned pickup from an old sea water head. We live aboard virtually full time and have spent the last two summers in North Carolina. The aft deck is the by far the most used area of the boat during waking ours. We very rarely use the AC back there as our aft deck in addition to the wing doors and windows has an EZ2CY enclosure, the center panel of which folds up and attaches to the ceiling. We also have a nice little mini ceiling fan that does a great job. So it has to be raining and very muggy to get us around to using the AC. It also supplies 12,000 btu of heat, but we find a simple oscillating electric heater does as good a job and is much quieter. We do try to use it every now and then year around, just to keep it exercised. It is a "nice to have" but if it wasn't already there, I doubt it would be on The List.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

We have canvas enclosures so there is no real insulation of any kind - good point about the size needed. I'm looking at the internal dimensions of the aft deck cabinet under the FB ladder as being the dimensional limit for an AC unit. I'll check on ac units to see how big a unit will fit. I think a 12 will fit, not sure about anything bigger...

I have a spare 240 breaker in one of the oem panesl that used to run the old LaMarche batt charger so I have a circuit available to run either a 240VAC unit or a 120VAC. I assume anything 12kBTU and up will be 240 but I haven't gotten that far in looking at units.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

I think you should talk to Yachtsman Willie. If you were to just chainsaw under your aft rail you could easily fit a household window unit of any size necessary. Much cheaper than one of them fancy marine units and no water pump necessary. Not so sure about heat, though.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

I think an RV roof top A/C might work better.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Mike,
    I'm running a 16kbtu, split system in the aft deck. I've got plexi glass hard enclosures on the rear and aft corners, sliding glass windows on the sides and usual wood doors. I find myself needing to latch down the hatch to the bridge when it gets over 85 degrees. I do like to keep my boat at 69 - 70 degrees though... I will say that the aft salon is the preferred lounging area and my bridge is expanded to encompass he usual tender area - so plenty of outdoor/ sunbathing options. If you want to a/c that aft deck, go at least 16k but, if not bigger.
    Formally Top Hatt and Tails
    1980 53MY

Water temp is important too... The Chesie is probably warmer than the great lakes, isnt it?
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Water temp is important too... The Chesie is probably warmer than the great lakes, isnt it?
    Lake Michigan is 70-75 right now but the rivers and inland lakes where most of the marinas are located are 80+. It won't be there for long now, but we'll take it while we can get it.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI